Scavenger Hunt from Life #24: May 14 - May 22

Sue

Scavenger Hunt from Life #24: May 14 – May 22

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #24: May 14 – May 22

Shell

Pet related

Vessel

Odd one out

A timepiece

Egg or egg shaped

Cozy

Musical

Something you bought/acquired recently

Crumpled

Folded

Rolled

A tube of …

Wobbly

Cheese grater

Looking out

Looking in

Something protective

Something uplifting

Doorway or gateway

Pile of books

Hanging clothing

A screen

Something you would take on a picnic

Suitcase or holdall

As far as the eye can see

Challenge, should you choose to accept it, :) = do a macro close up of something – cheese grater comes to mind but anything with texture would work

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with, enjoy sketching.

Maybe I'm first. Unusual!
Sketched in the 9 x 12 in. regular Canson Sketchbook with a Sharpie fine line pen.

csshfl24grater.jpg

Well done on being first off the mark Jo, the grater looks very at home on the books, you've really caught the texture and the patterning of the holes.

Not got anything done myself yet - was full of good intentions then, because I couldn't find something, I started 'tidying' my art materials cupboard......several hours later it is finally all away again and in some sort of order for now although I know it will descend into chaos again.

Jo: That is amazing first set of sketches for this Hunt.. Your grater came out so perfect. I would run out of my patience to do all those small holes. Bravo... Nice book stack too.

Sue, thanks so much for the new list.

Jo, I like the cheese grater sitting atop the books. Nice details to the grater's texture. I don't know if I would have the patience to do all of that.

I was at the New York Botanical Gardens today. This sketch was done in the lilac garden where there was a view...

1 - as far as the eye can see - watercolors
IMG_0023.jpeg

Lovely one of the gardens Joan, I really like the muted tones colours you've used - it looks cool and restful.

Pen in half A4 sketchbook

flask etc.jpg

Attempt at challenge, Chinese White Coloursoft on a scrap of black

grater close up.jpg

Sue, thanks! Great detail on the cheese grater with the other items and then the close look at it. Well done!

Joan - great springtime-y view
Sue - great study on the grater.

Here's mine #1. cheese grater - 5x8" ink and marker.

hunt24-01.jpg

Cheers,

2. egg
3. pet-related - ball
4. time-keeping-piece - 40+ yr old (est.) kitchen timer
5. music-related - drum mallets

hunt24-02.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Joan, I really like your as far as you can see view. Your rocks and distance are so good. (I used your idea of an outdoor scene.)

Sue, clever for the flashlight for picnic. Interesting grater and fun egg shape timer. Nice close up of the grater openings.

EP, I like your cheese grater. Looks like it fits over something so you can grate right into a salad or something. Nice. Colorful sketches. Good egg, ball and fun ancient timer almost old enough for Roman numerals. Ha. Fun drumsticks.

I sketched on the porch again on my iPad with Brushes and the Apple Pencil. Number 3 as far as the eye can see.

csshfl24as-far-as.jpg

Thanks Joan, EP and Jo.

EP, good grater and I like your '4 on a page' the shadows in purple really make them pop.

Jo, that's quite the view you have there, great stuff.

I've got one to post but am having to use tablet just now so will hang on and hope I can get on the site using the laptop at some point - it keeps telling me the site is not available but it is ok on here? Well I think it is, will see if this posts!

Woohoo, got in - had to clear all cookies etc for whatever reason and then log in afresh but normal service seems to be resumed.

5 Doorway, old shed up the road from me, 2B, 4B, AND 6B pencil in A5 sketchbook

doorway.jpg

Thank you for this fun new list, Sue!

Jo - "grate" work with that Sharpie! You make it look so easy. 👏 I also enjoy your front porch view - no wonder you love to sketch out there!

Joan, your watercolors are beautiful! What a lovely palette!

Very nice work with the pen, Sue. I'm really loving the look of that white Coloursoft on the black paper - I'm intrigued! Never heard of this product.

Eyepaint - I love your blue shadowing on the grater! It sets it off very well. Although I also love the purples under your other sketches - my former hand-coloring instructor always used to tell us that "purple in the shadows" was her favorite choice. :) Fun stuff!

Sue, I'm sorry you had trouble logging in here. :( Glad all you had to do was clear cookies/cache. What a cool looking old wooden door - nice job with the wooden planks and the brickwork.

Sue, I love old doorways and yours is so cool. Nice pencil work. Happy your internet is working again. We have had many problems out in the boonies. We invested in Starlink. So far so good. Not up to the 200m that some folks get but 100 times faster than what we had.

Terri, we have enjoyed this house. Can't believe we have lived here 10 years now. Wow.

More Sharpie sketches in the 9 x 12 in. Canson regular sketchbook. Each about half a page.

Number 4, Pet related - we have no pets. Saw these when I was hanging sheets on the line. Dragon flies look like helicopters. These were blackish with clear wings with black spots sort of.
Number 5, clothes hanging - the sheets on the line. I love the way they smell when hung outside.

csshfl24pet.jpg
csshfl24clothes-hanging.jpg

Sue, thanks for the list! Nice combo of rounded and cylindrical objects. Lovely doorway and brick texture.

Jo, grate job on the grater. (See what I did there?) I like the depth on your landscape.

Joan, pretty lilacs.

EP, I used my pun already. Like your grater, though. Oh, and you also have a nice collection of rounded objects.

I don't anticipate being able to do much this Hunt. But I did one! General's Sketch & Wash pencil was probably the cheapest thing in my birthday art haul, but I like it! 6x6 inch sketchbook.
20220517_080821 (Small).jpg

Hi everyone- fun seeing the different cheese graters!

Sue-Thanks for hosting ....inviting old door

Jo C - you don’t have the mechanical pet any more?? nice digi sketch. Looking more like summer time there. My bro lives near Houston. I haven’t hung clothes out for ages but I remember appreciating getting outside to do it, in addition to the fresh smell....nothing like it.....Dragon flies are trickie for me...they look simple but mine end up looking like B2 bombers!!

amo - glad you got something in, nice ridges , sketch and wash is always interesting result.

Ep, hi, always like your style ...interesting group of roundish stuff.....the Tom-Toms finish the set with a tentative audio wish.

Terri - hope we both catch a sketch soon ;>}

Jo, yes, 10 years is a lovely long time at a house - gives you numerous opportunities to enjoy each season and appreciate the local critters. I like your dragonflies! Your sketch of the sheets waving in the breeze reminds me of my mom doing this - I confess I have never even tried it, though I agree nothing beats fresh air. :)

amo - I haven't heard of the sketch & wash, but I'm intrigued! You certainly got a great result with your shell.

Back