Scavenger Hunt from Life #21: Apr 20 - Apr 28

Joe, thanks! Jerry is recovering well from the cataract surgery...next will be the other surgery to remove the blood in his eye from the ruptured blood vessel. We are being optimistic. Nice shading on your orange. Looks good enough to eat!

White Pen, I am glad to hear that you are safe. It is such a difficult time. I love the sketch of the dog surrounded by the other smaller sketches you did. She looks like great pet to have around.

Jo, good use of the pen that was drying out for shading the leaves. I always toss them, but I was reading recently that you can refill them. I think you managed really well with the intense pencils for the sketch of the tree and the landscape. Nicely done. Does Gene have those big clunky sunglasses to protect his eyes outdoors. I think they would help in the wind too. I couldn't use mine when they gave them to me. They wouldn't stay on my head...much too loose. Yes, the golfers move a lot. I just sat in my car watching their positions for a while. Of course as soon as I was ready to sketch one golfer his time would be up and he'd pack up his things.

Joan - yay spring! Oooh fruits! Such! wonderful! details! on those flowers! And on toned paper :) Yay golfers practicing
Ai - great job for the quick sketches waiting. Oooh cool bamboo item!
Robin - hi!
Jo - yay yellow lid! Aha plant in pot. Lots of eye drops for after the surgery, hey?
Joe - yay orange!
WP - awww love the doggie :)

Ai - Always such a variety, so well done.
Joan - Love the glass jar, especially.
Jo - Made me hungry for prunes! Although now they are widely called "dried plums", as it supposedly sounds better. Apparently "prunes" are only for old folks. Like calling "diet" soda "zero sugar", I guess.
Joe - I think you did a good job with the shading. A wee bit of white highlights would give the "orange peel" look.

I have not done a lot of art in general lately, and sketching from life stumps me, even though I definitely need the practice. I am always stumped for a subject and am awed by what others do here. Overworking the sketch is another issue I have, so I am aattempting to work faster.

This is barely recognizable - the feather end of my arrow for my recurve bow. File this under "participation trophy", as it is not very well done. It "qualifies" as either long or metal (aluminum). The orange plastic bit at the end is the nock, which attaches the arrow to the string. Hard to tell, but there are three feathers, with one of the yellow ones facing upward in the center. The orange feather is the "cock feather" which faces the target. This is in watercolor on Canson XL sketchbook, 140CP.

IMG_0086.jpeg

Hello, everyone! Love your sketches!
Ai, thanks for the list.
Joan, love your tulips painting.
Joe, looks to me like you pulled off the blended colors/shading quite nicely!
Joy, you are too hard on yourself, I think. I can see three feathers. Nice shine to the shaft close to the nock.

I sat down to play with my colored pencils after I saw a video that inspired me. However, I just ended up doing my own thing and not implementing anything I saw in the video.
#1 dark - Worcestershire sauce bottle. CP on cardstock, 8.5 x 11, about 35 minutes.
20220423_203414 (Medium).jpg

#2 white - plastic measuring spoon. CP on Strathmore 400 Series Toned Gray paper, 5.5 x 8.5, about 45 minutes. Sorry my pencil writing can't be read in the photo, but all it says is what I said here.
20220423_203422 (Medium).jpg

*** I noted with much dismay that the edges of my Strathmore toned gray paper are fading!
I have had the sketchbook for probably 10 years. I am disappointed because I thought the paper would be more fade resistant. It's been in sunlight through a window from time to time, but I never left it outside or stored it in direct sunlight. Of course, I expect the black cardstock to fade (hasn't yet), but I'm disappointed by the Strathmore paper.

Joy: Thank you. I feel you ... I had been feeling timid too if my sketch/drawing/artworks were not up to (my expectation) and feel reluctant to post ... but after a while, I'am learning to just did some sketches ans post for the sake of "Yeah... I did it and my day has included making some art ... and I feel better to share"... Jo, and Joan are very good at sketch and post freely ... I think the free spirit can be challenge to us in itself. In your case the subject is challenging too and you did it well as I recognize it. I saw one Youtube clip from one cool digital artist, he said that try to seeing and jotting things down as shapes, not as lines. I like his suggestion.

Angela: Thank you... Glad you have fun, regardless of it similar to the clip you were learning or not. Lovely sauce bottle and nice white scoop

WP: Thank you... Glad to see your fun upbeat sketches, esp. the pooch. How did you get him to stay still for you... Such a charming sketch of him.

Ai thanks for the new list. Great way to pass time waiting at hospital, good sketches of people. Nice flower and yummy looking food and really like that bamboo dome.

Joan, Gosh you've been busy. Love the garden, apples and golfers but am blown away by the tulips - just wow!

Jo, great colourful collection. the plant is so delicate in that faded ink and you did a great job with the inktense - 6 is obviously all you need.

WP - as everyone else my thoughts are with all those impacted by the terrible events in Ukraine, Love your sketches, the dog has such soulful eyes.

Joy, I know exactly what you mean and struggle with that too - imposter syndrome ever present - but your arrow is great, it reads well and I can see the three feathers.

Joe, Great orange with good shading - we ought to get Joan to do a master class:)

Joe - Will we get to see the gifts creations? Yes, I've posted them in Acrylic and Coloured Pencil as neither were entirely from life = sorry, failed miserably in my attempt to put a link in here 🙄

This is the latest in my work with the online class = still looking at tone/value in colour - Acrylic study of a section of the grape vine which is taking over our Sun Room. about 5 x 5 ins

1. Green

grape ivy.jpg

Hi,
Here's a page, 5x8" ink and marker.

1. green in the garden
2. shrub - along the front of the house
3. tree - Magnolia tree ... I think?
4. lawn
5. flower - tulips
6. building - house
7. wood - tree trunk

hunt21-01.jpg

Cheers,

Joy - yay feathers on arrow :) I knew a person who got into archery and built recurve bows in the workshop :)
Angela - yay on dark paper - I knew someone who called it "wooster" sauce :) The measuring spoon is helpful for the wooster sauce :)
Sue - yay greens!

Sue - What an excellent study - greens are notoriously difficult.

Sue - What an excellent study - greens are notoriously difficult.
Thanks Joy, you wouldn't believe how long I sweated over this and how many times I painted bits of it out - but a really good learning exercise that will hopefully pay dividends . I have at least got lots of colour mixing refs out of it ;)

Sue: Thanks. Fantastic green leaves...

EP: Thanks... Marvelous spring scene ... and the pot plant is super !!! Both has EP style and extra beautiful spring colors ....

Jo: Thanks. Amazing plant with tons of leaves... I admire your dedication and the result came out great. The colors in the prune containing set are wonderful as well.

Joan: Thanks... Love the result of the golfers in action. You are so good in variety subjects and mediums.

Joy, the feather is very good. I learn so many thinks here. Interesting about the colors of the feathers and the nock. Hmmm. My sketches here are just for practice and learning. It has been good for me to keep going. Some are really sloppy but I post and carry on. I really like this group.

Angela, hey there!! I like the dark bottle drawing. Nice. ood job on the white spoon. The first Strathmore paper I bought was pastel paper and I didn't care for it. It had lots of grid lines and was sort of slick for pastels. So I haven't bought any of their paper. I did find a watercolor pad I think but it must have been a gift. Ha. It seems to be OK as I don't do much watercolor.

Hi, Ai and thanks.

Sue, thanks. I love your green plant. Great selection and use of the different greens.

EP, hey. I love your outdoor scene. Makes me smile. The plant is a violet? Well done. I used to always have some around. Forgot all about them. Will have to get a couple now that we aren't traveling so much.

Lazy again so no sketches. Maybe tomorrow....

You've all done some great work. I haven't drawn in the last few days. If not in this I will publish in the next one.

I've been feeling both lazy and tired too... not so much work vibe, art vibe, exercise vibe, or alike... but somehow, today Tone had some free time, and he kindly took me to our neighborhood temple. So I got to sketch this scene, perspective wonky but it sure was nice to sit there to draw in silence and in shade (now Thailand is in super hot season...)

#5 landscape ... Phothong Temple, Bangkok... done in directwatercolor on about A4 size sketchbook
h21_landscape_a.jpg

h21_landscape_b.jpg

Last edited:
Joy, thanks for your comment. I agree with Angela. You are too hard on yourself. Your arrow looks good to me.

Angela, nice highlights on the bottle. I always find doing that realistically is hard. Good work on the white scooper too.

Sue, thanks. I was so happy with those tulips. I didn't think they would come out that good. Love the variety in your green leaves. Good negative painting.

EP, I'm loving the plant and the color here and there. Are you going to paint the whole thing?

Ai, those golfers were hard to do...the pose is just for a quick second. Nice colors in the temple sketch. It looks so complex I always wonder where to start. lol

9 - metal shelving for plants - watercolors and ink
10 - plastic pots
11 - triangular shaped buildings
12 - rectangular table
IMG_9918.jpeg

Jo - Love the shading on the plant. Any opinion on intense? Looks like you see them as color pencils not using water.

Joan - sounds like Jerry’s doing well. How do you refill disposable pens? That looks like a huge greenhouse. Your work always inspires.

The new hunt is up.

Keep sketching
Joe

EP - like how you captured so many items in a house-scape! Love watching a work in progress evolve!👍🏽

Joy - thanks for kind words. I recognized the arrow fletching immediately. Well done nothing to be hesitant about sharing.

Angela - like how you handled reflections on the bottle and shading on the spoon

Sue - Joan and Ai doing wc classes sounds like a great idea. Love all the shades and tones of green.

Ai - love the temple and getting to learn of Thai culture through your art.

Thanks Ai for the Hunt. I enjoyed sketching when I did. Life was in the way this week in combination with my lazy procrastination that is just me. Your temple is so fine, a big project for a sketch. Well done.

Joan, I like your plants and the greenhouse look and triangles. I never looked very hard for a triangle. Ha.

Joe, thanks. I did use some water. I think I would have been happier to add some watercolor, too, for more liquid. They are pretty dry. Ha.

See you all next Hunt.

Back