Scavenger Hunt from Life #21: Apr 20 - Apr 28

AiArts

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #21 Apr 20 - Apr 28

dark
white
blue
red
yellow
people or animal

round or curve
long
short
rectangle
triangle

green
plant/shrub
tree
lawn/ field
flower

fruit
food/snack/sweet
vegetable
seasoning
landscape/building

craft
tool
wood
plastic
metal

Ai, thanks so much for the new list!

1 - white fence - watercolors
2 - tree
3 - plant/shrubs
IMG_9904.jpeg

Joan: Gorgeous spring colors to start this Hunt.

You all: Hello.

I went for a check-up yesterday at the hospital. I jotted down a bit of people waiting for the doctors in ink and a scrap of paper

#1 people
h21_people.jpg

Ai, thanks for the new list. I see you put my nemesis of yellow and triangle. Hope to find something. The hospital sketches are great and "blue". I'm smiling.

Joan, you started us off in spring. So lovely, thanks.

I'll be back......

We went out to eat at a local food shop, and I took my sketch set with me...

#2 flower -- from a plastic flower pot displayed at a restaurant
#3 curve -- a Thai bamboo basket dome, used as a protection of food dishes from flies ... or in this case protection of clean new plates.
#4 food -- directwatercolor of some spring rolls

h21_flower.jpg

h21_curve.jpg

h21_food.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, thanks. Nice sketches of the people at the doctor's office. It always helps to have scraps of paper handy. I like the dome for over the food. That can come in handy. Now I want some tasty spring rolls.

4 - fruit - watercolors (That happened to be the theme for my Wed night sketch group at the library last night.)
IMG_9907.jpeg

5 - yellow tulips - gouache on tan toned paper
6 - curve to the top edge of the glass jar
IMG_9911.jpeg

Joan, like the pastel flowers contrast with bare grey limbs. Like the fruit plate blotchy textures and then we jump right into the cool smooth green stems on beige? Beautiful work

Ai,... love the hospital sketches....just reading Danny Gregory’s Creative License page 155–about how drawing in public is actually calming for others to watch a drawing being made. Great contrast bet the weaving lines and the soft indefinite food edges.

Hi Joe1, Joe Fl, and JoC .....gonna go catch a few lines for the hunt

Joe1, Robin: Thanks

Joan: Thanks. Wow gorgeous works both the fruit still-life and the glass jar of tulip... you did very well in gouache...

Ai, I like the flower and spring rolls in the direct watercolor. Excellent. The dome cover is so nice.

Joan, the fruit looks scrumptious. Nice when your other work fits the Hunts, eh? The yellow flowers are beautiful and wonderful job on the jar.

Hi everyone else.

I sketched in the Canson watercolor sketchbook with waterbrushes and watercolor.
Number 1, yellow- Prune can is mostly yellow
Number 2, red - glass
Number 3, blue - cord holder
csshfl21yellow.jpg

Ai, thanks. Nice sketches of the people at the doctor's office. It always helps to have scraps of paper handy. I like the dome for over the food. That can come in handy. Now I want some tasty spring rolls.

4 - fruit - watercolors (That happened to be the theme for my Wed night sketch group at the library last night.)
View attachment 21032

5 - yellow tulips - gouache on tan toned paper
6 - curve to the top edge of the glass jar
View attachment 21033
Joan, I took a class way back in the 90s with Jessica Zemsky in Montana. She made the most beautiful children's portraits with gouache on tan paper. So lovely. You have the touch!

Robin & Ai, thanks so much for your comments!

Jo, thanks. I don't do much with the gouache, especially since when I go to use what is in my palette it is always dry and cracked. I should just start with fresh paint. I wanted to be able to really show the light areas in the petals and didn't think it would work with watercolors. The toned papers are fun to work on. Nice work on your yellow prune can, red glass, and blue cord holder!

Went out yesterday and noticed they had set up a spot for golfers to practice.
7 - people - graphite

IMG_9912.jpeg

8 - green - direct watercolors

IMG_9914.jpeg

Joan - lovely spring landscape. So pretty. Hope Jerry is recovering well. The fruit composition is nice but I literally said Wow out loud when I scrolled down to the tulips and jar. Golfers have lots of movement. As usual I love all the greens you mix for foliage.

Ai - love that “jotting down” you have all the proportions spot on. Flower is pretty. We had a set of domes like that for eating outside, The Florida humidity got to them as they were made of metal.Bamboo sounds like a better idea. Yummy spring rolls

Jo 👋🏽 Hope Gene’s recovery goes well. Nice watercolor sketch.

#1 fruit - my attempt at a watercolor sketch of an orange. Was working to get blended colors and shading that Joan does do well.

14B31868-3346-4C56-92E3-19F31B34E6AA.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Heya

AiArts a great list I couldn't finish in one go. All these numbers just make Nr 5 wich is our 3y. old Am-Staff girl called Aria .

Do a A4 in graphite and still try to figure out how to set Colors with that .

The Food is a Wiener Dachshund as you hopefully see funny that hey..... beside the Ingwer ,Kiwi etc. ..

Thanks all for your prayers. I'm save but all around is still hart to accept.

So cheers from here tonight W.P. and keep your brushes going .

IMG_3598[1].JPG

Joan, we miss golf so fun to see your sketches. The green is wonderful with the different shades of green. Nice work.

Joe, great job on the orange. I can see some of the texture as well.

WP, as always I love hunting through your sketches. The clamp and weiner dog are well done. Your Aria is so sweet and cute. I see onion and maybe ginger. Orange or grapefruit. Beauty of a rose. Spectacular mountain scene. I'm smiling.

I sketched in the regular paper large sketchbook with a Prismacolor pen that is going dry so it worked good for the shadows on the leaves.

Number 4, plant

csshfl21plant.jpg

Quick sketch before watching the baseball game. It is too windy to get out with Gene and all his eye drops. In the watercolor sketchbook with Inktense pencils and water. I don't have a clue how to use them with just 6 colors, but here you go.
Number 5, tree

csshfl21tree.jpg

Back