Scavenger Hunt from Life #129: Sep 08 - Sep 16

Joan T

Sorry for posting so late. Something distracted me. Jo, thanks for the reminder.

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Outdoor scene
Indoor scene
Water view
People
An animal
Something to eat
Something in a box
Something in a bottle
Something with a lid
Free space #1
Found in your purse/bag
Found in your car
Found in the fridge
Found on a wall
Found in or near the sink
A tree or trees
A water view
A building
A front door (bonus: your front door)
Free space #2
Something green
Something yellow
Something red
Something rectangular
Something made of fabric
A vehicle

Have fun!

Thanks Joan. Personal challenge: use watercolor for whole hunt. Like Ai said practice, practice, practice. 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Last edited:
Hi Jo, Ned, and Fletch! Fletch, I'll be watching for those watercolors.

Since I was making the list I made sure to include things I know I would be happy sketching.

I went to a "Sea Fest" today. There was very little there that had anything to do with the sea, and I started out being disappointed and thinking that I wouldn't be there for long. But then I heard music...and I spent the next 3 hours sitting, sketching a bit, and listening to music. They were a little more "rock" than I usually like, but they were good and very entertaining. Also it was perfect weather, and I also had a great seat.
1 - people - watercolors and ink (I showed them the sketch during one of their breaks and they were thrilled. I let them take photos of it.)
IMG_6017.jpeg

2 - vehicle - watercolors and ink (One of the food trucks which for some reason didn't have a name.)
IMG_6020.jpeg

Wow Joan you set the bar bar pretty high to start off. Both are great. Was thinking No Name may be a way to avoid being sued for food poisoning😎

Joan: Thanks for the list. Superb on both sketches to start this Hunt. Great details of the people.

Joan, thank you for hosting! Your sketches are excellent, also thanks for the story behind them. Glad to hear your sketching day turned out wonderful.

I'm going through an "everything is still life" phase, and thus, both my animal and people are plastic figurines. They turned out more tricky to draw than I thought they'd be! I think I have discovered a whole new thing to practice... :)

DSC_2386.JPG

Plastic cow, plastic knight. HB pencil, about 15 x 20 cm or thereabouts.

Fletch, thanks. With no name or sign on the food truck that you could read from a distance it was no wonder they didn't have a long line like a lot of the other trucks. It isn't a smart business move. lol

Ai, thank you.

Moscatel, I'm glad you like the sketches and the stories. Your painting is great! Do you do a lot of plein air painting? I rarely do studio work (since I don't. have a studio) so I appreciate when others do plein air for larger pieces.

Brian, I like your sketches of the plastic figures! It is good to have things around indoors that you can sketch...and yes, almost anything can become a "still life." Keep up the good work. I like your dark tones for shading.

Ai, thank you!
Joan, I enjoy pleinair a lot. This summer I've been quite lazy but I plan to do more pleinair this fall. Thanks for your comment!

Moscatel - Beautiful! Simply beautiful. Now I am anxious to see your fall pieces.

Brian - am with Joan anything can be a still life Jeanne use to draw with us and had a whole collection of small pieces she grouped in still life’s for the hunts. The contrast you get with a HB is great.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joan -- those are great! I love the band! and the way the different blues look on the suspicious food truck.... It's probably my imagination, but for a few weeks now I've thought you might be using more "wet-in-wet" in parts of your WC sketches.

Moscatel -- nice! I know what you mean about the camera showing less in the distance... My knowledge is less than zero about oil painting, but I like the different sizes ( masses? ) of color.

Brian -- great contrast and great variation in shading. They are excellent.

Ai -- yay it's like "direct inkwash" painting! Really like the 2nd one, white roof against the water.

I'm going fishing today :) first try since I got back here to puget sound.

Ai- India ink with brush? Rectangle is definitely a clever find.

#1 found on wall - this is a carving by a Nuxall Nation artist in Bella Coola BC. My son and his wife live there and brought this as a gift their last visit. Sketched it in pencil. Painted in watercolor. Had a difficult time with thin lines and brush so drew lines in with a brown sharpie. In an A6 wc sketchbook.

I
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg

Keep sketching
fletch

Back