Scavenger Hunt from Life #127: Aug 23 - Aug 31

NedL

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life #127: Aug 23 - Aug 31

1. Apple or Fruit
2. Breakfast or Lunch
3. Corn or Kernel
4. Diner or Dinner
5. Electrical or Manual
6. Forest or Tree
7. Geyser or Fountain
8. Huge or Tiny
9. Ink or Paint
10. Jam or Jelly
11. Kitchen or Barbecue utensil
12. Lake or Pond
13. Mountains or Hills
14. Natural or Artificial
15. Old or New
16. Plant or Flower
17. Quiet or Loud
18. Roadside Attraction or Inside Curio
19. Sky or Skyline
20. Table or Tableware
21. Umbrella or Hat
22. Vehicle or Farm machinery
23. Window or Mirror
24. X-tra or Free Space
25. Your House or Bird House
26. Zebra or Animals

I sketched at the window to my studio in the Canson sketchbook under the chick. Micron03.
Number 1 tree - a small part of the cedar trees and brush along the fence
csshfl127tree.jpg

mosctel, thanks. I left out lots of brush and leaves behind it.

I sketched in a Mexican food restaurant a few doors down from PT. I went for coffee or a coke. The hostess asked if I wanted a menu. I said no, I just wanted a drink. She seated me at the bar! I decided I was starving so had a coke and some guacamole along with the salsa and chips that came with the drink. We call all soft drinks "coke". I know some call them sodas. A soda to me has ice cream. Ha.
Anyway, in the Canson regular paper small sketchbook.
Number 2 Plant and Number 3 window - The plant is in a very colorful pot. Tall skinny cacti, probably 3 feet tall. Lots of detail out the window that I left out!

csshfl127plant-window.jpg

Ned, thanks for the new list. Are you planning on finding a zebra while you're driving to NY?

Jo, nice texture to your trees and brush. What a fun view at the Mexican restaurant! The guac, salsa, and chips sound good.

1 - tableware - watercolors and ink
2 - restaurant (sub for diner)
IMG_5876.jpeg

3 - window - watercolors
4 - flowers (Those big ones are plate hibiscus and are as big as my head.)

IMG_5889.jpeg

5 - trees - watercolors

IMG_5891.jpeg

Ned: Great list. Have a safe and great trip.

Jo: Cool start with tree and plant and window.

Joan: Wowza... so many great ones: love the delicate wooden gazebo in the beautiful garden... glorious flowers. and wonderful details of the restaurant with people and beautiful things. Applaud.

Jo - Great pen work on the tree and the plant in the window. Not sure how you got aerial perspective using pen. Nice.

Joan - Great details in all three but the flowers are my fav.

Ned, great list! With alternates it’s almost a double list.

Ai - Chicken rice loos good but like ore traditional breakfasts like pacaesor baconsdess 😎

Keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks all.

Joan, as usual you found some wonderful items and you describe them so well in watercolors. The flowers are amazing. Lovely details on all.

Ai, your breakfast looks good minus the chicken. Ha. The big excavator is a wow. Never thought of how they would clean the rivers and canals. Good job. The Royal barge is beautiful. I had forgotten that Tone sketches. Great lines with history included. Fun outing with your group.

Jo, nice view from your table in Mexican restaurant! Lovely objects to sketch!

Joan, spectacular well done sketches with color! I enjoy seeing these very much! All the detail in the beautiful hibiscus, all the grass and your painting #5 trees which has the white garden structure, all these are a lot of work. I admire all this!

Ai, the breakfast chicken with rise is lovely! Also, interesting sketches by the canal of the machine and very special "Thai Royal barge" something you only can find in special places. UNIQUE! To me this painting is stunning! I admire all those tiny windows in the Thai Navy building 🏢. They would drive me nuts!

Ai, thanks. Delicious looking breakfast. Love the excavator on the river and the Thai royal barge...such energy. This version of the barge royal barge is my favorite so far. I like being able to see inside of it. Good to see Tone sketching too.

Fletch, thanks so much.

Jo, I enjoyed painting all the flowers!

Moscatel, thanks for your nice comment.

Today two friends and I went to Chinatown in Flushing, Queens. It isn't as compact or as crowded as the one in Manhattan, but it is huge. There were so many buildings with Chinese lettering and all kinds of vendors on the street selling everything you could imagine. In addition to the normal busy traffic the US Open is going on in Flushing at the tennis stadium and there were people and traffic from that. We found a space in the street to sit where we weren't in the way in a small space that wasn't big enough for a car to park.
6 - loud downtown Flushing - watercolors and ink

IMG_5914.jpeg

Here are Anna (on the right) and myself (on the left) in our painting space.

456615279_2038697989861431_7672964532997287123_n.jpeg

This was a dragon statue outside one of the restaurants.
7 - animal - watercolors and ink

IMG_5912.jpeg

Done in Bellport yesterday.
8 - umbrella - watercolors and ink

IMG_5907.jpeg

Thanks so much Joan, Jo, and PaintBoss.

Joan:
You and Anna are such paint troopers. I admire both of your art energy. Beautiful China town street scene, superb on dragon... and love the roadside cafe with the folding sign. Awesome.

Wow wow wow! So many great sketches already! Greetings from Dubois, Wyoming! There was no cell or Wi-Fi in Yellowstone or Tetons National Parks where we were yesterday and today so I am just now seeing them. Joan, no zebra but we saw bison today!:)
This morning while my daughter was still asleep I sketched this skyline of mountains behind Yellowstone Lake. In the afternoon we took a boat tour on the lake and I took a photo.
We'll see how this goes posting from my phone. I can see the colors in my sketch are not showing.
#1 Skyline
20240824_212952.jpg

Photo: ( same mountains very different angle)
DSC_0838.JPG

Last edited:
Ned, gorgeous! I can see a little bit of color, thanks for mentioning. Your travel sounds amazing!

Joan, I like a lot your Chinatown paintings, there's so much happening in it!

#1 Zebra - stripes -> my Bengal kitty. She's brown tabby and has both tabbies and stripes. When sleeping I can see more stripes. I sketch/paint her a lot inside and outside so she's pretty used to that.

In this sketch I focused on stripes. 20x14 cm, oil paint sketch on watecolor paper, 180 g/m2.

Ned, thank you for hosting!

IMG20240825074531.jpg

Back