I used an ink pen.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 8.23.44 P.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 8.23.44 P.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 15
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 8.23.44 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 8.23.44 PM.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 12
Joan, love the waterglass and straw, clever find. All clever in that sketch and different. The building and tree is great and a flag, too!

Hi Robin, happy to see you.

Ned, you really do some great sketches on your hikes. Nice area and good sketching. Thanks for the lovely photos to go with them.

Loulou, welcome. Hope to see some sketches, any medium. OOOh, on on the next page your candle, brush and bracelet. Super hatching. Ink is my favorite.

Ai, wow, great continuous line. Nice choice of items. Almost looks like you colored it with the tea. Beautiful temple and lovely direct wc of your friend.

I sketched yesterday on the porch (yay!) with my iPad and app Brushes.
Number 1, landscape

csshfl101landscape.jpg

Number 1 round - glass balls in silver dish, Number 2 flexible - lamp

csshfl101round-flex.jpg

Joan, we cross posted. The amaryllis is really growing, beautiful sketch. Love the waterscape. Yowza!

Hopefully, comments to follow soon.....

Since I'm homeless now, but trying to do a bit of sketching, I bought some inexpensive art supplies (including kids' crayons to replace my oil pastels 😍).

This is my first sketch with my new supplies. Since I'm trying to re-learn how to sketch, I sketched this on copy paper even though I bought a Canson sketch book (because I love JoC's sketches in hers). So even though I didn't use my new paper, I did use my new pencils.

This sketch was done across three days in my mobile studio.

I went back to that bizarre place where I sketched that a sand teepee. (SH #84 in September.) I posted some photos of the spooky water/land scape back then too.

This time, the water had covered all the tiny teepees, but some islands of spookiness remained, and I sketched one of those. First, I did a basic sketch. Then I went back yesterday and added detail. Today, I added signature and took pics.

HOWEVER, I was EXPERIMENTING with combining three kinds of pencils, and some of the experiments looked worse than others LOL.

What I'm posting below are the initial sketch, using only one pencil, and the right-hand side, using 2 different kinds of pencils. I'm NOT posting the left-hand side experiment. It turned out badly, LOL, because I was combining different graphites with soft charcoal. BAD IDEA in this case 🤪.

1a — "a waterscape"

..... freehand, all in my mobile studio
..... non-virtual copy paper
..... Faber-Castell graphite pencil
.......... 2B

1b — closeup from the initial sketch with added detail
(I left a couple of sticks on the left without new detail, as a reference)

..... Faber-Castell graphite pencil
.......... 2B
..... Artists' Loft colored pencil
.......... black

I didn't have any idea how to add the shadows on the semi-icy water. Any tips, hints, etc., on any of this would be appreciated. Water is my nemesis.

Also, one thing that made these spooky is that some sticks were blackened on the top and bottom, but pale in the middle. I tried to capture that, but had to also compensate for having no backdrop against which the pale would have shown.

P.S. — I have no plans to ever do a sketch like this again in my mobile studio. I spent half the night trying [and failing] to erase smeared charcoal on the page, and I'm sure it's all over my car too 😝

IMG_0403.png

IMG_0404.png

Attachments

• IMG_0404.png
    IMG_0404.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Another visit to a newly discovered home-based cafe...
#9 flexible ... drinking straw
#10 triangle ... corner of shelf

20240201_145038.jpg

#11 hard ...sweet teaset shelf display
#12 sub. rocks with pebbles

20240201_145759.jpg

#13 sub. phone with buttons ... with rotary phone, blind contour

20240201_151118.jpg

20240201_150242.jpg

#14 textured ... blind contour of flower arrangement
20240201_153640.jpg

20240201_164257.jpg

Pine Cone ,Ai,Joan ,Jo ,Loulou,all,wonderful job.
Pine Cone ,yes, charcoal, it's very naughty, and I've never managed to erase the pencil one. it's difficult to tame but you did it well, nice draw.I like to see charcoal drawings but in the end to draw, and to avoid dust I almost always used colored pencils, often black, as alternatives.

Last edited:
Jo, thanks. Your landscape is so refreshing. Nicely done. I like that mobile lamp which I'm sure comes in handy in the doctor's office.

Robin, I love the turquoise ink sketch of a bit of your corner of the world. Love the sailing ship and the desk, bookcases, and all the items you've included.

Pine Cone, I think you did a great job on this, especially considering you are only using inexpensive supplies! I love the slight reflection on the icy water. As you know from the past I don't work in charcoal or pastel. Both are too messy for me. Between the marks I would get on the paper there's the problem of every item that is within touching distance getting dirty and that includes the mobile studio. As it is, I find splashes of watercolors in my car...especially yellow since it stands up so well against my grey interior. Glad you were so persistent and got this done. Yay!!

Ai, what fun sketches! I especially like that really old rotary phone with the book base as a continuous line. You find such great things to sketch.

Hi Joe 1!

My amaryllis is blooming like crazy, so I am sketching it every day. It the morning it was just a bud but by the time I got home in the afternoon I had two flowers that were already opened. So much magic happened in just a few hours.

8 - soft flowers - watercolor
IMG_4560.jpeg

Pine Cone- your pencil drawings are nostaligic and atmospheric.....I really like them

JoC - nice tight digi sketch....like all the little pricklie trees and body of water sandwiched in.....

Joan - I envy you get to sketch so many cool outside stuff.....great job on the park picnic tables!!! Love the little stiff figure...

NedL - lots of room to breathe and move in those sketches.....the ocean and rocks are challenging no matter how you look at'em...eh.....

Ai - charming architecture with curlie Q roof corners.....lovely garden paintings and great wandering blind contour sketches...you did well coming out with good images. Blind contour is a fun experience to do and to see results.

PineCone: Thanks. Love your digi of nature... Take care and keep it coming when you can.

Joan: Thanks.... Such a wonderful plein air or semi indoor room looking out to the park tables. The staircase and the park tables details are super. Your landscape has charming depth ... the ink line seems so well put with some fading or light-touch in certain spot... Love it. and the flower one is super gorgeous.

Jo, Joe1, LouLou, Fletch:
Thanks and Hello.

Robin: Thanks... An amazing giant cabinet/shelf with all the goodies you have recorded and shared with us. Superb lines always.

Robin, hey there. Your sketch of the shelves is so cool. Love all the connections and cool finds. Great colors of ink. Thanks so much.

Pine Cone, look at you go. Love the sketches. Lovely gestures and water. Especially with charcoal. I can't do charcoal at all!!

Ai, some more good finds. I like yuour lines on the drink and corner shelf. Nice ellipses on the candy/sweets dish. Good rocks. Continuous like phone. Excellent!! Nice forms on the flowers.

Hi Joe1lt . Sounds like you are with me on charcoal.

Thanks, Joan. That lamp looks so handy. I'm loving your amaryllis. So beautiful in your drawings. Fun that you are sketching it so often. Love the rusty brown in your landscape. Great find of stairs and the park benches. Good lines and shading.

Thanks, all around.
Visit to the eye doctor today. The office with all the round ceilings. Had to hurry as they call you in on time. Had about 15 minutes. I sketched in the Canson 5.5 x 8.5 inch drawing sketchbook with green cover, smooth paper.
Number 3, round the ceiling and lights
Number 4, clothing the pants and visor, parts of shirts.
Number 5, footwear
csshfl101round.jpg

csshfl101footwear.jpg

Got up early and sketched at the table while having coffee and rice cake w/ peanut butter and cream cheese. In the BookFactory sketchbook with the Sharpie fine line pen.

Number 6 sour - lemon juice, Number 7 sweet - butter cookies and Number 8 used for cooking - garlic press

csshfl101sour-sweet-cook.jpg

Jo: Thanks.... wow... I love the sweet butter cookies box... you really show their volume so well. Nice details of lemon drink and the garlic press too. Your narrative of the clinic hurry session was so funny... super results though... love the ceiling curved line and all the patients shoes.

*waves to all* 👋🏽

Felt the need to draw something rather than keep lurking admiring all the great work.

#1 round - my newest art toy a watercolor water bowl. Quick sketch with HB mechanical pencil in pocket sketchbook.
IMG_2309.jpeg

Miss participating. Need to re-prioritize and juggle “to do list”

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, thanks so much.

Fletch, you have a perfect shading in graphite! Nice bowl. Have fun when you use it for your watercolor.

Robin, thanks for your comments!

Ai, many thanks for your kind words. That amaryllis has been a lot of fun to draw. Right now it has about 7 flowers on it. Love your painting with the purple flowers. Are they lilacs or wisteria? That's what they look like to me.

Jo, thanks.I like the sketch of the cookies in the translucent container. Nice page!!

Fletch, nice shading on your watercolor bowl. I like the idea of sections for the water.

I was out with the NYC Urban Sketchers today. The museum we were in had big, picture windows looking out at the Unisphere which had been one of the structures at the '64 New York World's Fair. In fact the museum itself was the NY Pavilion and upstairs they have some memorabilia from the fair.
12 - items of clothing on the kids playing soccer - watercolors
13 - something hard (structure of the Unisphere)
14 - something textured (tree bark)

IMG_4582.jpeg

Back