San Pedro Point sketch

Bartc

I don't often sketch in just ink. Usually a base for line and wash watercolors. But yesterday with time on my hands the landscape simply suggested this composition and it looked good to me without any wash. 7x5" San Pedro Point, Pacifica, CA. B. Charlow 2022
san pedro beach houses.jpg

Maybe we don't miss color so much when there are good strong lines and a great composition to keep our eyes busy. Very nice sketch, Bart!

Ditto. There's a lot of information here. I imagine....
I'm enjoying pen (and wash) sketches, too.

I’m a fan of meandering curving paths that suggest a story. Your sketch is carefully suggestive with minimal mark making. Very nice! That takes experience and the ability to know when to stop.

Sigh . . . I am weak in that area🫤

Thanks, Scamall. This is what I wrote in a cross posting:
I was always inspired by the Zen school of sumi-e, in which the goal was often how much character one could convey with very few strokes (and let the brain suggest the rest). The scene is in fact highly complex with lots of houses, structures, trees, hillside, ocean. I have painted those before and simply refused to repeat the clutter! That's why the pastel is so stylized. But the lines of the small vignette that I inked caught my eye as a classic S or Z composition and I simply eliminated everything else in view. BTW, it is inked over pencil draft with Kuretake miniature brush pen. The sumi-e look is not accidental.

Back