Roni with oil-pastels

Roni

Discovered oil-pastels by "accident" 4 years ago and found I can draw with them. At times.
Easy to handle while you're sitting with your drink to some exquisitely depressive music, when all of a sudden you feel the need to express your misery.
They are fast, these oil-pastels, (and smooth), that's what I like about them.

Usually I spontaneously take my sketchbook (ca 12 x 16 inches), put it on my lap, start immediately without thinking much and go about it for between 30-80mins. Most times, the result is below poor, of course, (though nevertheless neccessary to Do it).
But now-and-then, the final piece is exactly what I want from my work to express my inner self.

Here's one I like:

2017-12-07_d.jpg

There were only 4 or 5 times, when I actually planned, what I would do before starting.
And just One of them had a bigger format.
Here it is:

2018-02_first-big_1d.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture-quality. Using old i-phone-4 to photograph while drawing (and the light is like neon in my room). May change this habit of sloppyness at documenting some day.

Last edited:
Very interesting how you manage to display the image in so many different colors and lines. (y) (y)

I love seeing it in the first two, where you can see you holding it up to demonstrate the scale. It's really good. I too prefer the oil pastels to the chalk ones. They remind me a little bit like holding of crayon as a child. This pieces has a child-like, expressionistic vibe, with so much movement. It's honest and seemed to have been formed organically. I love it.

Thank you, sweetheart. It's uplifting to hear such encouraging words. I've put some pictures on my fb-account.

On my style - there's but One particularly influencial artist on my work:
At age 19 I've been to a SCHIELE-exhibition. That blew me. Like a sudden epiphany.
I immediately STOPPED trying tho draw the human anatomy true to nature and adopted those crippled and crackled lines to express inner feelings rather than drawing bodies.

It's so amazing when we look at others' art--it's a kind of collective dialog of all of art history between us, giving us all more and more permission to be ourselves and inspire one another. I know what you mean about seeing someone's work and it having such an impact on the way we work and communicate through art making. I feel like I have these realizations over and over again when I look at all kinds of art. It reinforces what it is I'm am doing and puts me in a place where I can be true to my own voice, especially if I go off track a little and doubt myself for those sticky moments. Thanks for inspiring me again.

This one is not really great work technically, yes.
[made Nov 2016, just when I had discovered oil-pastels]
Only posting it tonight, because I'm listening to the song that played when I made it. [and included a line of the lyrics]
Radiohead: "How To Disappear Completely"

IMG_3056_e_mid.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one from early this year. Liked it when I did it.
Still very okay with the original, but couldn't make this pic quite fine, as my photoshop-skills are questionable.

Escape_d_20200616_174737_f.jpg

One sad thing about it is, that it's a "perfect" example of what I'd try to avoid, as I stated in musket's "Night-Moths"-thread: having lines in obvious connection.

Escape_d_20200616_174737_f_FEHLER_small.jpg

Alas, it's oil-crayons and you can't really correct those.
So I have to live with it. Still like it though.

Here's one from early this year. Liked it when I did it.
Still very okay with the original, but couldn't make this pic quite fine, as my photoshop-skills are questionable.

View attachment 2551

One sad thing about it is, that it's a "perfect" example of what I'd try to avoid, as I stated in musket's "Night-Moths"-thread: having lines in obvious connection.

View attachment 2552

Alas, it's oil-crayons and you can't really correct those.
So I have to live with it. Still like it though.
Oil pastels ain't easy imho and so I think this is very well done.

Me too, I really love how this one turned out Roni. It's a winner in my book. I can't see what you see within these circles. I see it to be a perfect piece.

I really love how this one turned out Roni. It's a winner in my book.
Thank you, and don't get me wrong: I DO like it a lot.
Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.
It's just that there are so many of those - minor - flaws, that we've just talked about in the "Moth-thread".
I can't see what you see within these circles.
It's what musket had said about the wing of his moth being in line with the rain and what I said there in my own post:
"perfect matching or touching of two lines or edges from different objects drives me crazy"

Maybe this illustrates it better than the marks in my above example:

Escape_d_20200616_174737_f_FEHLER2b_small.jpg

Again: Don't misunderstand this as a dismissing of my drawing.
I'm proud of it (all in all), really, but can't deny that everytime I look at it, I wish I could move those borders just a tiny little bit to not match so very close.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I know you're not dismissing it. A viewer may not see this though. Perhaps only you, the artist, would notice.

Back