Rex Stout

ntl

Contributing Member
Mystery readers may be familiar with his name, or possibly the name of his main character, Nero Wolfe. I read many of them years ago, and searched for one for my Kindle a few days ago, and found "HER FORBIDDEN KNIGHT", a title I don't remember at all. The time period seems about right to me, but my memory says "Archie" appears pretty early on, not so in this. The writing is vaguely familiar, but...
So a few minutes ago I looked it up to read reviews. One reviewer said, " ... It was first published in five parts from August to December,1913 in All-Story Magazine, and only published in book form in 1997. The first Nero Wolfe novel, Fer-de-Lance was published in 1934, so this serialized novel predates the Nero Wolfe books by 21 years."
from Britannica: "...Stout worked odd jobs until 1912, when he began to write sporadically for magazines. After writing four moderately successful novels, Stout turned to the form of the detective story."

It's an okay book, nice to read his first--or maybe first-- published story.
Sort of seeing an artist's early works and more recent ones. Including my own.

I'm not a huge fan of mystery novels, but it's interesting to know the history of artists and writers for sure. :)

Back