Question for Discussion

Yep - to give me something to think about other than the possibility of dying alone on a deserted island!

That's my vote and I'm sticking to it. ;)

...besides, the critters might like it. Then I'd have friends. ❤️

a better question might be -Would you make art if you were not allowed to show it to anyone or tell them about it. So you're home, can do whatever you want, make art/not make art - but if you make art you can't show it to anyone or tell anyone about it. and when you die it will be destroyed without anyone having seen it.

You leave my question alone!!😛 :ROFLMAO:I want future generations to know about my trials and tribulations on that island so they can ooo and ahhh over me. 😂

I am hoping someone will destroy my art after I'm dead so it doesn't burden anyone to have to deal with it all! 😂

And yes, I'd still make art on a desert island even if no one saw it. I wouldn't even need art supplies. I'd like the challenge of figuring it out with natural materials or whatever washed up on the shore.

a better question might be -Would you make art if you were not allowed to show it to anyone or tell them about it. So you're home, can do whatever you want, make art/not make art - but if you make art you can't show it to anyone or tell anyone about it. and when you die it will be destroyed without anyone having seen it.
But.. thats my life right now🙁

Edit:
And I'm still doing it, so yeah. Just can't seem to stop trying.

Last edited:
Although alone, I would create paintings on my island. I would just need some volcanic ash, red mud, charcoal, bird droppings, plant sap, and sand.

Come to think of it, the island paintings are likely to end up indistinguishable from my "normal" paintings. :oops:

I think I would make art on a desert island for lack of any[few] other available outlets. But if I were home, but could never show or tell anyone about what I made ... I think in time I would stop making art, and pursue other "creative" activities that I could share and engage with people.

I've found that if I have just a few peers to engage with about my work ,art, -- then that is sufficient to keep me motivated. But lacking that my production falls off, procrastination sets in, and I do more thinking about making art, than making art.

Yes, I definitely would. I enjoy the challenge and the process, it's a pleasurable and absorbing way for me to spend my spare time, regardless if anybody sees the results or not. For me it's the same as reading or doing crosswords - no input from anybody else is required, I just enjoy doing it.

I already have piles of paintings and stitching that nobody else has seen. I've started sharing things on here much more recently and it's so nice to share and discuss (especially for learning) but it's not essential to me at all.

In fact if I were alone on a desert island, it would be even more important to have the challenges and focus of art projects. There wouldn't be much else to keep the mind happy and stimulated.

I wonder what the art would look like and if it would begin to look different at all after having a zero audience and no one to observe it. That would be an interesting experiment. I think there's no way to really tell unless put in that circumstance completely and totally. I don't think I would be making any "paintings." I would resort to other creative endeavors like cave drawings, carvings, weaving, etc. More natural type things and crafts. I thinks.

Back