Process?

From there I have no other WIPs of the full piece but this. All of the feather shafts and barbs have now been burned in with the pyrography tool. This is mind numbingly boring work, you just have to get into a rhythm and put up with it. I was happy to get away from it in the gilded hawk head. From here on in it's painting, but I don't have any WIP shots of that.

So basically, that's how it works in a trad decorative.

SigiburnedComplete.JPG

Okay. This is about Misha.

I began with a template, as with Sigi. No need to show that again. On this piece I felt it was necessary to make a clay model, not because I don't know goshawks, but because I wasn't quite sure how to integrate the scoop into the head itself.

So, a crude armature of styrofoam and a wood insert to support the clay for the beak.

GosArmature1.JPG

GosArmature3.JPG

Followed by clay. This is Chavant J-525, a hard industrial styling clay which must be heated to 140 degrees before it can be applied to the armature. After it cools down it can be carved just like wood. Here are the rough stages from three views. I'm not overly concerned with bilateral symmetry here. I just want an overall idea of how to integrate it all. I did this stage with my fingers, no tools, while the clay was still warm.

ClayGosRough1.JPG

ClayGosRough2.JPG

ClayGosRough3.JPG

I don't have any WIPs of the carving process, but really, same thing as on Sigi, minus all the texturing, burning and finicky detail.

Misha.JPG

Misha34.JPG

Misha34C.JPG

MishaCloseup2.JPG

In the first image, notice that there's a flat spot in the edge of the scoop. This was a pocket of hard grain. I tried everything I knew how to try to get rid of it but it just wouldn't go, so I left it that way. I carved too deep on the throat, and had to fill it out with epoxy putty. Oh well! The supraorbital ridge above the eye, which I mentioned with the Harris, is very obvious here.

Last edited:
After the carving was done, I knew I had something. It's easy to see how intense she is in the profile shot. I just hit this one out of the park, without really understanding how I did it. For sheer expressive power she was the best thing I'd ever done. But I had no idea what to do with her. I set her aside for two years, pondered it every so often, and went on to other stuff.

Last edited:
Amazing musket. Really. It blows me away how much work you put into it these.

Thanks for the compliments on the work I put into the wood collages. I don't use a cutting wheel. I use a very sharp scissors, but starch the fabrics beforehand.

Thanx Arty.

I decided to just mount her on a column, as I had done before with head studies. So I assembled the materials-- a piece of striped ebony, country of origin unknown (most likely SE Asian), and a piece of travertine acquired at a local rock shop. But I still wasn't sure what to do for surface treatment. The color in the first pic is more true to life.

MishaRig.JPG

MishaRig4.JPG

Then I gave her a coat of lead white mixed with a little raw umber. I liked this look a lot, but I knew I would have to come up with something more elaborate to get a good price for her.

MBSmall.JPG

Last edited:
I decided that to get a good price, I had to go whole hog luxury. Her expression is so intense and severe I figured it would be enough to offset the fanciness.

And so... gilding for her, and full gloss cellulose nitrate lacquer for the column. I had worked in a frame shop part time when I was at Cooper and had learned the basics of oil gilding (not water gilding... that is truly for the skilled). And of course I knew all about lacquer from my time as a guitar builder.

But what kind of leaf to use? Silver is very beautiful but tarnishes. Palladium is nice but a little murky. I finally settled on 12KT white gold... but I couldn't create any kind of contrast without overlays of a yellow leaf. And therein lay a problem. Gold leaf will stick to the tiniest trace of oil. You can't just put a contrasting leaf in the places where you want it without running the risk of it sticking where you don't want it, and once it's on there, you'll never be able to get it off without wrecking whatever is underneath it.

I gotta take a nap, folks. More later.

Yawn.

So. Next step when gilding something is to apply a ground of a suitable color, so that if any leaf should happen to rub off, it won't look too awful (gold leaf is three-millionths of an inch thick). So I used a mix of Robert Doak's blue ochre and indanthrone blue for the areas that would be leafed in white gold, and I forget what yellow for those that would be leafed in 23.75KT rose noble. Later on I also painted the supraorbital ridge and eyelids yellow.

MishaGround.JPG

Then I proceeded to oil gild all but the beak, cere and the scoop in white gold.

I purchased the leaf from the long gone Baggot Leaf Co on Greene St in SoHo, NYC. While there, Grace Baggot suggested a little book, published a long time ago, called Practical Gilding. This is a Brit book and like most Brit books on trades, excellent. I forget the name of the author. In it I found the cure for the sticky overlay problem. Here's how you do it--

Once the initial coat of leaf is dry, mix up some glair-- egg white in water beaten to a froth and the liquid strained out. Glair was used as a medium in Medieval illuminated manuscripts, and as a sealer for lute tops. Apply to the object being gilded. Let dry. Then mix up some oil size with a little oil color so you can see where you're putting it-- yellow ochre in this case. The glair will serve as a resist and prevent any gold from sticking to places where there is no size. Apply the contrasting gold, wait for the size to tack up (I used three hour size), then apply your leaf, and voila.

Here I have gilded the cere, gape and eyelids with rose noble. The striping was yet to come.

MishaGild3.JPG

Here is the potential for screwing up-- you have a limited amount of time to get the egg white off with warm water. If it sets hard, it becomes impermeable and will never come off. Hence I didn't do all the rose noble in one go. However, if you take it off too soon after applying the leaf, the leaf may go with it. Kinda dicey.

Whew! I was a little worried about the beginning of Misha. Kind of amazing how she grew from a weird blob of styrofoam into a gilded beauty. I DO like her at the natural stage as shown in #54, too. Is that considered too "unfinished" to be taken seriously? Are there any (respected, good) bird carvers that do things more abstracted or rough or raw? Or is that not in the traditional bird carver world and so becomes a whole separate other thing?

One can look at your bird carvings and say "How beautiful", but seeing the process gives a whole new appreciation!

Back