Pomorsko Dobro #1

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks. First of 2024.
Pomorsko dobro translates to "maritime welfare". Sort of a declaration of the natural unspoilt coastline. The coast in Croatia is being decimated with no respect for it's beauty. This painting tries to show a natural a stretch of sea front which is actually in danger.
Anyway, soft pastels on Canson MT, dark blue. About 30x50 cm. The photo is under spotlight not natural light.
It's signed by I'm still making marks....

IMG_3164.jpg

This is so beautifully and delicately done, Murray. The grasses in the foreground contrast so well with the rugged rocks. It’s sad to hear that this is disappearing.

Beautiful painting. Love the water and the whole scene. Sad to hear about the coastline. Is that where you are standing in your Avatar/picture? The colors make me smile.

Hi Bart, Donna & Jo. Thanks for the great feedback. Folk here try to privatise bits of the seafront. It's illegal but happens. Ongoing battle. Think I will redo it and offer it as a prize for best eco action !

Wow, so excellent! I love the treatment of the water in this. All the little details are just awe-inspiring. ♥️

Beautiful composition, unusual vantage point, and exceptional portrayal of texture.

What a stunner! Beautiful work, Murray - I can't stop looking at the transitions in the water. Terrific!

Beautiful painting. Love the water and the whole scene. Sad to hear about the coastline. Is that where you are standing in your Avatar/picture? The colors make me smile.
Hi Jo. Sorry I missed to answer that Q.
No, the avatar is way up on the top of the ridge line. The painting is from a spot on the edge of the sea cliff along the coast.
Thanks for comments.

A friend asked about the stillness of the sea. Actually, it's like that here a lot, flat, mirror like. When the storms come it's rough but being a channel, there are few big swells. The sea here is often just ruffled by the wind with small choppy stuff. Means you can see right into the clear water. From the cliff, looking down the colours and sea is ... Well, you see, like this!

Ok, I had not intended to direct "copy". But this was interesting. I wanted to repeat but only had White paper left. First is Right, second, Left.
Vast differences in value between the white and blue paper. I prefer the Blue, right.
Interesting exercise though. But the water has that sunlight sparkle on the white.

IMG_3169.jpg

I prefer the first one, the one on the left all around. Greater feeling of depth, and cleaner colors - gorgeous.
Interesting. Thanks Bongo, this experiment keeps giving. Thanks for the input.

Hi Joy, JStar, Terri and Triduana.
Really appreciate all your inputs. Really useful and encouraging.

Back