Playing with texture

Donna T

This started out as a chicken painting with the textured areas designed to be the bushes that are in the chicken yard. I glued down pieces of tissue paper to add dimension then covered it with pumice gel. My chicken-painting skills are lacking (they looked like dinosaurs) but rather than admit total defeat I painted over them, had fun and got ... this. But look at that texture! 😄 9x9 soft pastels on heavy watercolor paper with pumice gel.
IMG_3239psCS.jpg

Hi Donna:
An absolute stunner for color arrangement. To me, the one turn off is the orange ball which looks like a covid shot and that is so on the news that it's become a pain to the eye. If that ball were like the orange and pink chicken underneath it .. Ah, lovely, it would be. or even and orange moon.

WOW, as they say in the States! I love the textures and fluid shapes. A very happy ending to something that started out as a chicken! The shapes at the bottom remind me of a rabbit and its feet! 😁

Interesting texture. The final result is a delightful painting.

But look at that texture!
Yes indeed, look at that texture! :oops: And the colors, and your delightful flowers (don't listen to Wayne, he clearly has covid on his brain! Hey, that rhymes!), and your beautiful shapes.

This is one of my favorites of yours. Love love love ❤ it!

I like this. The tissue paper adds a very interesting texture
to it and the colors work well together. The flower (covid protein) doesn't bother
me. Nice work!

Thanks Deborah.

Wayne, the orange thing you refer to is obviously an alien sunflower and not any kind of virus, except maybe for chicken pox due to what lives beneath the surface. :giggle: I do like the idea of an orange moon. Thanks!

Penny, thank you very much. It took me a few but I see the rabbit and its feet!

Thanks Anne.

Thank you Esther. I am automatically turning every "failure" into some kind of abstract. At least I can feel good about accomplishing something.

Terri, thanks so much! I know it's weird but I'm OK with it!

Thanks Perry. I need to try a true abstract with tissue paper and pastel. Half the fun is blasting the pastel with fixative or water to get pigment in all the crevices.

Trier, you are too kind but thank you!

Thanks Joe.

This is amazing! It turned out excellent! It's one beautiful work of art Donna. I just love it. This seems to be a technique you can use again and again and "see" what happens with it every time. I am excited to see if you will make more like this. It's stunning.

♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ⚡

Thanks Jo. The chickens are still there ... daring me to try again!

Ayin, thanks for such an encouraging comment! I was almost too embarrassed to post this but I wanted to show that even a dud can be a learning experience.

Hermes, thanks. I wasn't familiar with Rufino Tamayo and looked him up. Wow!

Iain, Those plants are not from around here. Thanks.

I love this! Great work with that texture. I love those colours too - the blue works really well against the pink and orange. This is why it is always a good idea to experiment with pictures you aren't happy with! :)

Back