Coarse pumice gel with OP's...an experiment

This is one I did last year, more about process than painting. I did a lot wrong with this one, but the end result was still fun playtime. I came across a reference to using textured gels and other mediums with OP's and I hadn't tried it yet. Whew!

View attachment 12618

The first thing I did wrong was reach for Arches OIL paper, when I knew I was going to be using water on this gel. :rolleyes: It buckled of course, and we had to fight about it. After letting it dry overnight, it had smoothed back enough where I could continue.

View attachment 12623

Scumbled in the OP's all over the dry pumice. The pumice was very durable, didn't chip off, basically just ate up the OP's. I was using my cheaper, hard Cray-Pas Expressionist for this step. I could have gone with even cheaper OP's, since naturally the pumice ate everything.

To blend the OP's into the pumice, I used Turpenoid with a stiffer brush. The oil paper does fine with Turpenoid, as opposed to water, so everything spread nicely. I wasn't sure how the pumice would accepted the Turpenoid, but it was fine.

View attachment 12624

I got lots of rough, bumpy texture, which was great for this barnyard scene. I left it all pretty loose, in a folk art kind of way, which is different than what I usually do.

View attachment 12626

It was fun! I'll try it again, maybe go for a beach, or other sandy scene. All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!
I love this!

Back