Paradise

I'm not sure I follow?
Well the guy was a good client and you sent him a product he requested that didnt quite meet the criteria. You then resolved the matter by painting a match for the first painting. If there was confusion between your friend Chito and the client, surely the thing to do was to contact him and resolve any issues.
I presume you paint to sell and no one in business wishes to lose a good client, nor a client wishes to lose a creative whose work they like enough to purchase.

Just saying, but it's your art of course to do with as you wish :)

Well, I dont get too uptight about these things tbh, as Laf said, I just shrugged my shoulders about it. :rolleyes:

Well, your strange client got himself a terrific painting for free (if he indeed still has it). People can be very idiosyncratic about art. After all, it's an emotional thing.
I love the way the water recedes into the distance in this painting. Not easy to do.

Well, your strange client got himself a terrific painting for free (if he indeed still has it). People can be very idiosyncratic about art. After all, it's an emotional thing.
I love the way the water recedes into the distance in this painting. Not easy to do.
I know right! you just never really know what people are thinking when it comes to Art.

This is a magnificent painting, in my opinion. But, .....let me get this straight now........This client of yours now has TWO of your paintings, and for FREE? ......The first one of your follow-ups (this one) which he complained about, AND the subsequent painting that you did for more abstraction, and to more closely match his very FIRST painting??

Well, I would probably do the same thing, to keep this guy as a client, if I valued his business. Besides, you can sell any "extras" you may have created, at different venues, and art shows. You haven't lost anything in keeping this guy pleased, I believe.

This is a magnificent painting, in my opinion. But, .....let me get this straight now........This client of yours now has TWO of your paintings, and for FREE? ......The first one of your follow-ups (this one) which he complained about, AND the subsequent painting that you did for more abstraction, and to more closely match his very FIRST painting??

Well, I would probably do the same thing, to keep this guy as a client, if I valued his business. Besides, you can sell any "extras" you may have created, at different venues, and art shows. You haven't lost anything in keeping this guy pleased, I believe.
Thank you,, Yes, he paid for one but ended up with two! He has bought a lot of my painting which is why I cut him some slack, but he is very difficult to deal with.

I have just read the whole thread. Firstly, I love the painting and the way you applied the paint. Secondly, it made me think that I've been wise to turn down commissions for paintings and sculptures — something I can afford to do, because I am just an amateur and have other sources of income. I tell people I will happily sell any already completed work that they like to them, but will not accept commissions.

But then, perhaps, the pressure of having to deliver an acceptable piece to a client would make me a more focused and better artist.

I thought I had commented on this but I don't see it. I love the painting but am sorry for the story behind it. It is lovely!

Yeah, commissions can be a real hootenanny, trying to please a client. I learned my lesson once when I did a portrait on a commission for a young lady who was about to be married, and wanted this painting of both her, and her fiance' as a surprise gift to him for a wedding present. The main lesson I learned from this fiasco was to NEVER, NEVER allow anyone to demand of you that you work from THEIR SUPPLIED PHOTOGRAPHS! In a nutshell, that was the problem.......that, and trying to create a double-portrait by working from two, individual photos, one of which was a really stupid, poor, flash shot.

'Twas MY fault, and I learned my lesson! 😞. Oh, and......she DID purchase the painting. I did the best that I could, but I'm sure she was not pleased with it. The deadline just ran out for her, and she took my latest alterations out of desperation, I suppose.

I have just read the whole thread. Firstly, I love the painting and the way you applied the paint. Secondly, it made me think that I've been wise to turn down commissions for paintings and sculptures — something I can afford to do, because I am just an amateur and have other sources of income. I tell people I will happily sell any already completed work that they like to them, but will not accept commissions.

But then, perhaps, the pressure of having to deliver an acceptable piece to a client would make me a more focused and better artist.
For a long time I would never consider doing a commission and then eventually I thought 'what the hell'! but I think I was more confident in my abilities by then. This guy also sent me an email about my Blues painting which he also purchased. In the email he told me that he loved the painting and his boyfriend adored it but he had attached a photo with an area circled in red which they both were unsure of lol! I wrote back and told him that it was the focal point 😄 and he was fine once I had explained that.

Yeah, commissions can be a real hootenanny, trying to please a client. I learned my lesson once when I did a portrait on a commission for a young lady who was about to be married, and wanted this painting of both her, and her fiance' as a surprise gift to him for a wedding present. The main lesson I learned from this fiasco was to NEVER, NEVER allow anyone to demand of you that you work from THEIR SUPPLIED PHOTOGRAPHS! In a nutshell, that was the problem.......that, and trying to create a double-portrait by working from two, individual photos, one of which was a really stupid, poor, flash shot.

'Twas MY fault, and I learned my lesson! 😞. Oh, and......she DID purchase the painting. I did the best that I could, but I'm sure she was not pleased with it. The deadline just ran out for her, and she took my latest alterations out of desperation, I suppose.
That sounds like a horribly stressful situation. I think it was an easy mistake and one that you won't repeat lol! 😁

That sounds like a horribly stressful situation. I think it was an easy mistake and one that you won't repeat lol! 😁

It became especially bad when it became a "community project", and this girl's future mother-in-law got involved with HER opinions, as well!

I actually offered to refund her earnest money, cut my loss, and let her purchase something else for her fiance' instead of the painting. But, she just kept insisting upon alterations, which I kept doing. As I said, she finally did purchase the painting, for my asking price, but I'm almost sure she wasn't pleased with my effort. And, HECK,,,,,,neither was I !

Back