Paper Palettes

A paperclip/binder clip is something I've never thought of but it would certainly work,

Well haven't decided yet which (if any) I'm going to try. But my research has yielded this
- grey 12"x16" cost between 25-30 cents a sheet. So for that little difference price isn't a factor.

- white 12"x16" cost as low as 10 cents a sheet. But thinking about it - a pad of 50 sheets should last around 2 months+ -- so that breaks down to less than $5. a month more for grey over white. Probably worth it.

I did find a pad by New Wave that's is glued on 3 sides! Costs 23cents a sheet but is only 11" x16". Used to mixing on 14"x18" that would be a chunk of real estate to be loosing.

so still thinking about it.

I don't know how often you are painting but 50 sheets in 2 months would be 25 per month. Just under 1 sheet a day. considering a sheet can easily be used more then once especially if the paint hasn't had time to dry you should be able to get more life out of it then that.

There are aerosol cans of spray adhesive that would hold paper down, but not permanently. I've thought of using picnic paper plates for acrylics but that sounds expensive. For small bits, I sometimes get a clean catfood can out of the recycle bin and use the bottom to mix small dabs - or the inside - then back to the recycle bin. Otherwise I'm using a thick plastic artists palette. Periodically I scrape it off. If I want it white again, I paint it with primer.

Paper plates work well, can get cheap at places like Home Depot, but the mixing area is small so you'll go thru a lot of plates.

So the cello works as good or better than anything I've used, it's just the cutting and taping down that I'm trying to avoid -- thus the thought of a pad of paper palettes.

But now I'm thinking it might not work with my Plein air set up. I use a Yarka box that I've tricked out so I can put wet panels under the 18"x14" wood palette. But putting a pad of paper on top of that might cause the paint left on the palette to hit the top of the box when closed, since with my mods there isn't much clearance left. If I can't use the paper palette while on the pad, then it puts me back to square one and I might as well stick with cello.

With using a temporary spray adhesive my concern is that over time the adhesive might build up on the support and make a mess. But I'll have to experiment and see - would be a great solution if it works.

I think I've found the solution! Double stickies. I have these cheap double stickies I got at the dollar store - they happen to be the exact same size and thickness of a penny. I put some on a piece of hardboard and they held the cello down perfectly - came off easily and can be re-used at least 4 times - which is all I tested. They come off the harboard without much trouble too.

I think any thin double stickie would work - and should work on paper/freezer paper too.

Going to see how they hold up on my 18"x14" palette over the course of a painting but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Reactions: AES
I remember I also used to have this shallow tupperwear kind of thing that held my palette pad. I could keep it in there for a few extra days other than leaving it out in the open air (oil paint, that is). The only thing was that it was a little bit warped and the lid never sealed/closed all the way, so I eventually had to use it for something else entirely. If I had one that worked, it would have saved some sheets, paint, etc.

I also have little glass jars, incase I mix far too much color, I'll sometimes stick it into the jars with a palette knife and save it.

I like the idea of the double stick tape, and/or the little binder clips. When I'm done with each sheet, I fold them in on each other before tossing em. I could see being able to carrying them around like that without a problem until I got home.

my colors last two days on the palette. On the third day they're starting to skin over - drizzling a little linseed oil and mixing in, saves some colors.

As an experiment on my palette where I lay down the colors I first brushed some linseed oil. SO I'll see if that can extend the time they can stay out. Three days is all I need. By that time what little paint is left is too contaminated with other colors to use anyway.

Parchment Paper is somewhat porous, and might suck oil out of the paint puddles. If you have to add more oil, how does that cost compare to the cost difference of Artists palette pads. Paper plates? Same thing unless you use the coated ones (for oils). And what if that coating dissolves and mixes in your paint or solvent? I’ve wondered about that with Freezer paper coating, and have monitored for any problems. None that I can find so far.

the cost of linseed oil, in the amounts used, is minuscule - not a factor. The cello doesn't suck oil out of the paint, it is probably smoother than glass and inert. Cello (unlike cellophane) is made out of polypropylene but mineral spirits has no effect on it. Mineral spirits is sold in a plastic bottles so I wouldn't worry about it. Artists' palette pads are made to be used in oil painting.

Back