Ornate Hawk-eagle

musket

I thought I had already posted this but I guess not. I was fourteen when I did it, in 63. Pencil on Strathmore drawing paper, 11" x 14". Done from photo reference (this species is from Central America), but the drawing is much larger than the photo and was done entirely freehand.

Ornate 1963.JPG

I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I am wild about seeing it again. I don't know where I saw it? Maybe I'm high.

Well it's F'in gorgeous! It's so incredibly good. How were you able to pull that off at 14? I kinda hate you, but I'm glad to say I know you. I'm proud of you and hope you are proud of this too! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

;)

Musket, it's very cute! So good drawing. I haven't seen this one before and always like to see your work.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I am wild about seeing it again. I don't know where I saw it? Maybe I'm high.
I had the same feeling, but I think it´s because of an other drawing Musket showed here, also a bird of prey, same medium and also drawn at about the same age. I think of a Cooper´s hawk if I remember correctly.
Edit, found the thead, it was a Cooper´s, does this look familiar Arty?https://creativespark.art/threads/coopers-hawk.264/

Last edited:
This is absolutely fantastic !
Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks everybody.

It's just graphite-- most likely a 6B, 2B and maybe an HB for some details of the beak. And a stump.

As to how I could do something like this at such a young age, to be honest I haven't got a clue. I had no formal art training. In retrospect this is my favorite of my teenage drawings (several more of which are alas lost). It's got serious rhythm.

Ornates are very beautiful birds, and can raise their crests even more radically, as shown here.

Ornate Hawk-eagle

They're around 22"-27" long-- as usual the females are considerably larger. They have feathered tarsi and are relatives of much larger Genus Aquila species, that include the Golden Eagle, Black Eagle, Tawny Eagle etc, but are of Genus Spizaetus. There are quite a few other Genera in this group, the Aquilinae. All of these birds are called booted eagles.

I had the same feeling, but I think it´s because of an other drawing Musket showed here, also a bird of prey, same medium and also drawn at about the same age. I think of a Cooper´s hawk if I remember correctly.
Edit, found the thead, it was a Cooper´s, does this look familiar Arty?https://creativespark.art/threads/coopers-hawk.264/
Thanks EJH, but I could have sworn I saw those sticking up "ears" before somewhere. Maybe I'm dreamin.

Absolutely beautiful! Very dramatic sketch - wonderful work!

This is a great drawing and I agree at such an early age it is truly something to treasure. I have never heard of these hawks but it is a superb study.

John

What a gorgeous drawing. I love how you captured its shape. It's strong and confident. Perfect!

Back