Oh Dear!

Born in Edinburgh, raised in London, now in Scotland, always living with the enemy. And dramatic as ever. :)

The Highlands are, I imagine, the closest we have in climate and terrain, and dare I say, beauty, to Canada and North America. Unfortunately, we don't have anything that can attack us, or the roaming deer, apart from the one poisonious snake, the european adder, and even then you have to really piss it off (if you can accidently find it!). I am discounting ourselves, of course. It doesn't take much to piss us off, it seems.

"All right, wise guys, who has the horn?" I don't know why it was looking at me.
snow in november 020.jpg

These are pictures of one of my favorite photographers Celine Clanet. These are a couple images she took when she did a study of Lapland in Finland of the Saami peoples who heard reindeer in the arctic circle. I am very loosely related to the Saami in my ancestry line.

03-maze-sami-lapland.jpg

39-maze-sami-lapland.jpg

21-maze-sami-lapland.jpg

Those are quality. Some places beg to be shot. I wonder, considering your lineage, do you ever get the teeniest urge to run off to Lapland and herd reindeer? I have seen documentary on people who live like that, and it is amazing how their whole existence is entwined with the animal. When I witness things like that, I receive this unrealistic yearning to die like Chris McCandles. ha.

I wonder if it would be a bad idea to have a forum for "amateur" photography. And maybe it could encompass images of art taken in a gallery and museum setting. I don't know. I do know I like sharing images I think are appealing.

To stick with the above theme, here are a couple of pics I took on the same day as the one horned bull. I am sure it thought I was "after" one of the cows. Not likely. One bad bovine experience is enough.

In the middle of nowhere, with few people, one cannot be anonymous. I could not fart without it reverberating around the village.
Through the herb.jpg

The wastes.jpg

Yes, I do get that urge! I feel very connected to Lapland, though my family comes from the Swedish area...but were no borders then between Sweden, Russia, and Finland. It was just Lapland.

These are great images Iain. :)

I don't think we need a beginners photography forum, just post your photos in Photography. Why not? Who says you have to be a pro or it has to be museum quality? Screw that!

Love that last photo. The snowy mountain against the gray-blue sky is magic!

Back