Newbie Digital Art Question(s)

MakoyiForge

Hi,

I am considering buying an iPad Pro and the associated pen. Is this still the best option for creating digital art? Also, is Procreate the best app to use (are there others to consider)? I am interested in all media; do/have done real world endeavors: photography, pencil drawing, pastel, clay sculpting and metalsmithing. Want something that can [possibly] simulate these and other forms (watercolor, acrylic, etc.). Not really interested in animation, but 3D would be cool (for sculpting especially). Have been playing around with AI online, but, while entertaining and interesting (and often disappointing), I would prefer to have [more] control over the outcomes.

Thanks!

Hello! I do dabble a bit in Digital Art, and I think it really depends on your creative process. You certainly can get a good drawing tablet / display off of amazon for significantly cheaper ($30-$300~) than an iPad and Apple Pencil, plus procreate ($1200~), and use Krita or another excellent open source software to create art. This requires you to have a laptop or computer, and the space for a drawing pad, but it's a significantly cheaper option that absolutely will get you going in digital art.

If money is not an issue and you like to create art on the go (or just on your couch or whatever) the iPad is a great option. I have one, with the pencil, and it's pretty great! It's a very organic experience, but I personally never would have owned any iPad if my wife wasn't gifted one for nursing school.

Procreate is definitely the most internet-popular software for creating art right now, but your options for going digital are much wider than just the iPad!

Hello! I do dabble a bit in Digital Art, and I think it really depends on your creative process. You certainly can get a good drawing tablet / display off of amazon for significantly cheaper ($30-$300~) than an iPad and Apple Pencil, plus procreate ($1200~), and use Krita or another excellent open source software to create art. This requires you to have a laptop or computer, and the space for a drawing pad, but it's a significantly cheaper option that absolutely will get you going in digital art.

If money is not an issue and you like to create art on the go (or just on your couch or whatever) the iPad is a great option. I have one, with the pencil, and it's pretty great! It's a very organic experience, but I personally never would have owned any iPad if my wife wasn't gifted one for nursing school.

Procreate is definitely the most internet-popular software for creating art right now, but your options for going digital are much wider than just the iPad!
Thanks so much! I *am* fond of the couch ... :)

Last edited:
hi, I've been wondering the same thing for a while, I hope you'll find, well, I guess so, that's great for art.
I had written here https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-12-feb-6-feb-14.3420/post-59944

that I was thinking that instead of fixing the computer, if very expensive or considering the spare parts that were already needed, or instead of getting a new pc, I was thinking about ipad, in the future, thinking about the drawing (I don't mean only the digital drawing but in general, I almost always try with paper but the computer always helps me when I try to draw, even if I'm not drawing on it, 80% of the time for things related to drawing, art, surfing the forum, looking at references, photos , tutorial. and to hear music, without music I can no longer try to draw), currently I had intuos, taken years ago, but in the last months I was trying to use it again.

hi, I've been wondering the same thing for a while, I hope you'll find, well, I guess so, that's great for art.
I had written here https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-12-feb-6-feb-14.3420/post-59944

that I was thinking that instead of fixing the computer, if very expensive or considering the spare parts that were already needed, or instead of getting a new pc, I was thinking about ipad, in the future, thinking about the drawing (I don't mean only the digital drawing but in general, I almost always try with paper but the computer always helps me when I try to draw, even if I'm not drawing on it, 80% of the time for things related to drawing, art, surfing the forum, looking at references, photos , tutorial. and to hear music, without music I can no longer try to draw), currently I had intuos, taken years ago, but in the last months I was trying to use it again.
Yes, I believe that there is a "paper" option, maybe a screen onlay? I think that is something that I am interested in, as it seems so familiar in terms of sketching/drawing with pencil/colored pencil, which I have been doing since early childhood.

Heya Joe, I just read your other comment and there are definitely ways with the iPad to play music while you're drawing. There is the built in iTunes/Music app where you could either buy music, or upload music from your computer over USB. There's also a way to show two apps at once if you want to have a video going, though that would greatly reduce your drawing space.

@MakoyiForge there are "paper-like" screen protectors you can get off Amazon. The one my wife purchased really does give you that paper friction feel and it's quite nice. I'd recommend giving it a shot if you're comfortable putting on a screen protector. I believe it's tempered glass.

rodhlann, thank you very much, for the info, good to be able to listen to music, showing only the app you use to draw, this was the doubt about the music, I wanted to make sure that you shouldn't show the 2 apps together, that, as you said , it would reduce the space to draw. true
thank you very much for clarification

Back