Name that face!

Oy, so late….
Obviously a photo of young Vincent.
I never would have guessed - I only know him from his self-portraits and didn't see a resemblance.

A photo later in life for comparison
van-gogh.jpg

guesswho.jpg

the effects of too much absinth perhaps?

How does everyone here pronounce his name?

I say "Van Gock". However most I've met, or seen on television say "Goff" or "Go".

I say "Van Gock". However most I've met, or seen on television say "Goff" or "Go".
I stick with van GO simply because that's what I heard all my life. I've definitely heard the van Gock, or a similar sound maybe even a bit guttural on the end, with some air.

I love the photos. He was definitely a handsome young man, ever brooding. It hurts to think of him because he should have been with us much, much longer.

There is no correct way. Gok Gog Gogh Go and even Gor the five sound suffix share the same language mouth shape and comes from the throat.
א ג ח ק ר in Heb, which means A a G g ( ח missing sound) K k R r
in Engish you dont have ח and ח refer to goGH while gh is ח in Heb, in English you prononced ח as A a therefore when you say Gogh the gh doesnt came up and instead comes O😮 you see the O?

Interesting. Though I was just looking to see how everyone said it here. It however did confirm, maybe, a belief that "Van Go" is more of an American thing. But then I did hear a British private gallery owner say it the same way back in the nineties, so not a strict rule.
I say "Gock" because of a Dutch friend from many years back. He didn't think it was a requirement to introduce vocal sounds from other languages and had noted some thought it affected when it was done. He had heard the "Gock" and reasoned it the closest.

I am dutch. I pronounce it right...:ROFLMAO:
And seriously, all three options you list, including your own are 'wrong', as in not the original dutch sound; not many foreigners can pronounce the dutch 'g' sound.

None of them are right, but half the cities in the world are pronounced differently outside their host countries.

None of them are right, but half the cities in the world are pronounced differently outside their host countries.
Well that is a rather different subject, but on that note, what city do you think are Icelanders referring to when they talk about "Kænugarður"...?

Thats what I thought, also his widows peak is different in both photos
No way that's Van Gogh.

there is a theory that Van Gogh was held captive at the Monastary and forced to paint while an imposter traveled the countryside selling his paintings. When the real Van Gogh was shot trying to escape, the Monastery staged it to look like a suicide.

No way that's Van Gogh.

there is a theory that Van Gogh was held captive at the Monastary and forced to paint while an imposter traveled the countryside selling his paintings. When the real Van Gogh was shot trying to escape, the Monastery staged it to look like a suicide.
that is extremely unlikely.

Then this self-portrait gave kept me up at nights - the palette appears to be on his left hand where it belongs -and not reversed by the mirror?

It could be that the photograph of the painting is reversed. I've seen that quite a bit on the interwebs. It's easy to spot if letters are involved.

It could be that the photograph of the painting is reversed. I've seen that quite a bit on the interwebs. It's easy to spot if letters are involved.
I considered that, but the National Gallery of Art where the actual painting hangs has it orientated that way -
and then there is that thumb! My explanation I think has legs(pun intended)

On a side note at the National Gallery of Art's web page, they have this across the front -

Visitors ages 2+, regardless of vaccination, are required to wear masks indoors.

It doesn't say "when visiting the gallery" - it says whenever you're indoors! SO - if you're indoors when you read their webpage you're required to wear a mask.

Thats what I thought, also his widows peak is different in both photos
Well...that's a receding hairline, and the kind that left the widows peak looking quite prominent. Those youthful curls are long gone. As for the rest of the differences, the face of the younger Vincent shows someone who at least ate regular meals. There is a round softness to the cheeks that is definitely gone in his later, "starving artist" years. He is positively gaunt in the later shot. The beard covers a lot of that except for the telltale cheekbones being more pronounced.

Back