My First Attempt at Using Oils - Landscape with Tree

I like your lively brush strokes and the effect they create. Very Impressionist!

Penny, this came out very nice, especially if it a new medium for you. I like how you suggest detail but don't really fill it in. I like how some of the leaves in the tree are catching to light and the way the branches show through the leaves.

Anne

Yes, Nufocus. i surprised myself after telling the teacher that I wasn’t any good at landscapes. Thank you.

Thank you very much, Ann. The teacher liked the blue line above the hedgerow, which I don’t remember thinking much about when I painted it! I first noticed it when he pointed it out.

I’m looking forward to next Saturday’s day of painting with him again - we will be trying an impressionist landscape. I’m probably half way to that style, all ready. 😊

I'm just beginning to experiment with oils and think you've done a great job - especially for your first ever oil. I'm used to pastels and being able to add lots of layers but with oils I can make a mess very quickly. I hope you'll learn lots in your class!

Schuee, I like the tree as it is besides the tree is very well done!! The tree is not in the middle. Absolutely like this painting, it´s inviting and interesting. I like the movement by brush strokes everywhere and in the sky, but somehow overall look is very peaceful. Congratulations!

I attended a class on painting in oils and we had a landscape to paint from a photo.

Here is my attempt. If doing this again, I would move the tree from the centre of the painting - I didn't think of this at the time.

View attachment 10610

Next Saturday, I am attending another day class with the same artist, painting in oils, and the subject will be an Impressionist Landscape, and I’m looking forward to this.
Excellent first attempt. Like the drama in the sky and mood. Lots of interesting passages particularly in the square enclosing the building and tree.(y)

A great "attempt". I always loved to see how such broad brush strokes can create more or less clear shapes and describe well the reality.
It looks quite encouraging for someone like me, flirting with the idea to try oils ;)

Excellent first attempt. Like the drama in the sky and mood. Lots of interesting passages particularly in the square enclosing the building and tree.(y)
Thank you very much for your comments, Arnie.

A great "attempt". I always loved to see how such broad brush strokes can create more or less clear shapes and describe well the reality.
It looks quite encouraging for someone like me, flirting with the idea to try oils ;)
Thank you very much, classic. Yes, give a go and I bet you will be surprised at what you can do.

Back