My First Attempt at Using Oils - Landscape with Tree

Schuee

I attended a class on painting in oils and we had a landscape to paint from a photo.

Here is my attempt. If doing this again, I would move the tree from the centre of the painting - I didn't think of this at the time.

4F0613CF-CD2B-4159-9BF0-EB9673122AE1.jpeg

Next Saturday, I am attending another day class with the same artist, painting in oils, and the subject will be an Impressionist Landscape, and I’m looking forward to this.

I attended a class on painting in oils and we had a landscape to paint from a photo.

Here is my attempt. If doing this again, I would move the tree from the centre of the painting - I didn't think of this at the time.

View attachment 10610

Next Saturday, I am attending another day class with the same artist, painting in oils, and the subject will be an Impressionist Landscape, and I’m looking forward to this.
Good job!

You did well for a first attempt with an unfamiliar medium. Half the battle is just getting through the piece! It looks lovely. Don't sweat the tree. I'd call it slightly off-center anyway. ;)

You did great for a new medium. So hard to remember everything when you are concentrating and learning. I like the colors and textures, shadows.....

First attempt? Great job!!! :) You di awesome. My first attempt didn't look nearly this good. You actually used your brush and lots of great colors. (I think I did a sunset with silhouetted trees). Impressive stuff, Schuee.

Thank you very much, Artyczar. I am very much a “colourist” - I think that’s the way to descibe it! I enjoy colour. There wasn’t any pink in the clouds on the original we copied from, so I added some! 🌈😎

Excellent work Schuee, especially for a first. Yes, it may have been a bit better composition with the tree out of the center but on a first try you can't think of everything and you learned from it. Just place it somewhere else on the next one. Great work! ❤️❤️❤️
PS, you can always go back and add a couple of trees on the left and make that composition better. :giggle:

Thanks very much, snoball, and for the advice. I have varnished it, so I would have to take that off, I suppose, to alter it. (I hit the italics by mistake)

Thank you very much, Hostajunkie. I’m pleased you like the pink I added.

You really should wait a few months before varnishing (for future reference).

Ok, snoball, thanks. I will do that for the next one. I did only wait a week or two with this one.

Fantastic job.
I also love the colors in this and the pink in the sky looks greats.

But I agree with sno on the varnish. A layer of varnish too soon can effect the paints drying. Retouch varnish can go on sooner because it lets the paint breath but with true varnish I tend to let them dry for 6 months just to be safe.

Great color for a first .. mine was a white and blue. All white bird in an all blue sky; no tints or shades. Two colors. If I had a teacher I might have got 3 colors but I doubt it. Anyway, enjoy your journey into oils. It's nice to see the work of other oil painters.

Back