Mountain-Sea minipastel

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks. More experimentation. Plein-air ATC size. A really limited batch of Rembrandt's on a piece of Sennelier card, sanded. I stuffed up cutting the card on the corner but didn't want to waste it. 2.5 X 3.5 in. The humidity is over the top and mountains really misted/blued off. Early morning meant really intense light facing me and throwing mountain into relief. Challenging with the small size. Like drawing with your fist

IMG_1664.jpg

Love the painting, but still confused by "ATC". What does that mean, Murray?
Hi Bart. thanks for the comment.
ATC =Artist Trading Card. These are art pieces measuring 2.5x3.5 inches. They are swapped & traded a lot. Google the term.
These are not sold but swapped. There are cards sold but then it's a ACEO = Artist card editions and originals. There is a whole underground scene.

Didn't know this. But googling is not helpful as there appears to be an ATC in just about every field.

Didn't know this. But googling is not helpful as there appears to be an ATC in just about every field.

I'm really trying the size to force myself to realllyyyy look when painting, but it's fast and addictive. I find myself getting "lazy" with proportions on some works, this size makes it glaringly obvious you muffed it.
I've no idea about how to "monetize" or whatever. I already gift some of my larger works. I'm not well organized to sell, might be nice tho. 😄

Last edited:

I'm really trying the size to force myself to realllyyyy look when painting, but it's fast and addictive. I find myself getting "lazy" with proportions on some works, this size makes it glaringly obvious you muffed it.
I've no idea about how to "monetize" or whatever. I already gift some of my larger works. I'm not well organized to sell, might be nice tho. 😄
I've a couple friends who both took about a year off from painting-for-perfection to really learn how to work en plein aire, and, more importantly, loosely. They were both quite good already, but they wanted to do more. So they practiced with no need to do more than practice. It freed them to become great artists with, now, both of them, awards and Honors in various societies and organizations.

Your works with ATCs remind me of both of them, challenging yourself to absorb and learn rather than simply make a painting.

Keep going- you're heading into a really good direction.

This is beautiful as are the others. You can frame them in acrylic or glass right agains the surface so recommend some clip on frames. Amazon has many cheap small frames and other sites, too. Have fun with them. Loving the idea.

Thanks JStar and Jo. I had often done small watercolours, but this format really needs attention (for me). Anything iffy really stands out. Pastels are not well suited, but even so, it's surprising what you can achieve. Thanks again.
@JStar, thanks for that encouragement, I feel like to this does help. Maybe 20 years too late, but hey, just gotta try.

Last edited:
You are so good with these little ones, Murray! They must be kind of fun to do plein air. At least you have a chance to finish before the light changes.

Hi Donna, yes, the light change is easier. It just my skills. Thanks for the compliments.

Love those wispy mountain ranges. This has such an ethereal, misty-magical feeling. I love it. Very nice work. Well done! ♥️

Back