More older OP exercises - attempts at Tonalism

Terri

Supporting Member
One of my favorite art styles is Tonalism, which is uniquely American. I don't even remember how I stumbled across it! It is mainly identifiable by the darker, moodier palettes used by artists like James Whistler (Whistler's Mother - the unofficial, more famous name of a painting called Arrangement in Grey and Black No.1 - is a Tonalist painting). Often dark, limited palettes of grays, purples, browns and blues.

A few years ago, as exercises for learning oil pastels, I copied a few from one of my favorite Tonalist painters, Charles Warren Eaton, who often used brighter values in his paintings, which I like.

Hint: his are better. ;) You should check him out!

The first two are done on gray construction paper, roughly 9x12"

Sunset Pines:

Chas.Warren.Eaton,Sunset Pines.jpg

Silence of the Night:

chas-w-eaton-repro-jpg.175371

And a personal favorite that I just had to try because it was so freaky, and very liberating to paint it, Sunset Trees:

Chas. Warren Eaton -Sunset Trees exercise.jpg

This last one was done on cheap green construction paper.

I mangled them all pretty well (these were done in 2017), missed the color casts, etc. - but I did learn a lot, which was the point. Thanks for looking!

I love all of these, especially the colorations. You didn't ask...but. If it were me, I wish I could mix all three into one style of work. Or allow the very last one to inform the next one I did, because that one will have to be my favorite--based on the loose style of the sky (and the foreground). Whereas, the top is a bit too neat and tidy. They have color to die for, don't get me wrong, but I love the expressions of the last one the most. More to explore. More mystery. It pulls me in. ♥️ ...should I mention my favorite landscape painter?

...should I mention my favorite landscape painter?
Well, what do you think?!? ;) Please share!

And thanks for the comments! I get what you mean about each of these. All from the same artist, and all so oddly different, especially considering the last one, which is my absolute fave.

Wow! She's really amazing! I can totally see how you're drawn to her work. Thank you for this introduction! 💓

Thanks so much, Queen!

Older work, but I don't mind showing it, and I always appreciate feedback even when the moment has passed, if that makes sense. :)

I'm not familiar with the original works so I can't say how they compare but I like the middle one the best.

I'm not familiar with the original works so I can't say how they compare but I like the middle one the best.
I butchered the middle one the worst, especially in basic color. Whew, I struggled. But I did all right with the composition.

Thanks for commenting! If you want to see how beautiful Tonalism is, check out these artists from the list in the link. :)

Hi Terri! Wow, three amazing paintings! They are all really good, and the third one is also very bold! ;)

Love seeing your work! And wow, you are also a moderator here!

/Mira from WetCanvas

Hi Terri! Wow, three amazing paintings! They are all really good, and the third one is also very bold! ;)

Love seeing your work! And wow, you are also a moderator here!

/Mira from WetCanvas
Mira!!!!! ❤ I'm so glad to see you here!

Yes, it's sad that WC is closing. I learned so much about OPs there and hope to see more from that forum over here. Not a lot of artists work in OPs.

Hope to see you often here! Share your amazing OP portraits! :)

Yikes! That pond reflecting the firey sky in Sunset Trees is somehow unnerving. Unnerving in the most positive sense of the word, of course ;)

Yikes! That pond reflecting the firey sky in Sunset Trees is somehow unnerving. Unnerving in the most positive sense of the word, of course ;)
Haha, I know what you mean Lamar! I sweated this one because the style doesn't come easily to me, even though it's my favorite! That reflected sky was a really fun piece of that painting.

Thanks for commenting! ❤

Back