Misty forest exercise

jmfletch

This is one off and I am pretty happy with how it came out. Enjoying learning and experimenting with color mixing as well as practicing techniques.

Comments and critique are welcome. Am learning a lot from all of you.
Thanks in advance.
Fletch

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 27
I very much like the sky and distant trees. I also like the middle ground and the tonal variation in the trees. But I would have preferred more colour and tonal variation in the foreground. Despite this comment, on the whole I like your painting very much.

Balaji, Thank you. I like the idea of more color in the foreground and used it in my next lesson. I still went dark but used greens,

Thanks Jo. Appreciate the support.

There is a lot to like in this painting. Might I suggest you imagine which direction the light is coming from and add a few highlights to the tree in the foreground and to a lesser extent the trees in the middle ground. This would make the trees pop.
Steve.

I really like how this turned out, and also like that there is a limited palette. It makes a beautiful effect. ♥️ I remember learning how to use the lighter shades in the distance and how you're supposed to go darker as you move closer to the foreground. I'm self-taught and it took me a long minute to learn that! :ROFLMAO: This piece is like a learning piece for artists.

Steve and Ayin Thank you for the kind encouraging words and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Fletch

I really like how this turned out, and also like that there is a limited palette. It makes a beautiful effect. ♥️ I remember learning how to use the lighter shades in the distance and how you're supposed to go darker as you move closer to the foreground. I'm self-taught and it took me a long minute to learn that! :ROFLMAO: This piece is like a learning piece for artists.
It's more than just "lighter" in the background, though: It is less contrast and a decrease in certain specific hues as the background recedes. The human eye loses the ability to 'see' yellow hues first, over distance, then greens and orange, then red, then violets- but it keeps blues until whatever 'thing' is there is simply too far for a human eyeball to see.

You can see this for yourself if you have that kind of vista to look at. It's why we have "purple mountains majesty"- and why those mountains you KNOW are covered in pines and firs, don't look green: Given the distances of their heights, you can no longer see the yellows which inform the greens, you only get the blues.

Courtesy of science, and Deborah Christensen-Secor. https://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/p/about-author.html

It's more than just "lighter" in the background, though: It is less contrast and a decrease in certain specific hues as the background recedes. The human eye loses the ability to 'see' yellow hues first, over distance, then greens and orange, then red, then violets- but it keeps blues until whatever 'thing' is there is simply too far for a human eyeball to see.

You can see this for yourself if you have that kind of vista to look at. It's why we have "purple mountains majesty"- and why those mountains you KNOW are covered in pines and firs, don't look green: Given the distances of their heights, you can no longer see the yellows which inform the greens, you only get the blues.

Courtesy of science, and Deborah Christensen-Secor. https://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/p/about-author.html
Thanks for that extended knowledge. I was just mentioning some of the basics I got from a demonstration I saw. But this is very helpful. Thank you! :)

Kay and JStarr thank you for stopping to support and comment. Am learning as much from comments here as I do from the class.

Back