Margaret Bartlett AKA Snoball

Artyczar

It's January 2022, and this is our first Artist Spotlight with Margaret Bartlett, better known around these parts as "Snoball." Sno was one of our first members here, even though she was picked at random for this interview. We will be hosting a spotlight for our members every month, so be on the lookout for a private message, as you may be called upon. :)

Here is our short interview with this amazing, talented artist, with images of some of her work:

Where did you grow up and where do you live and work now?

I was born in Tulsa, OK at a very early age. Moved to Arkansas when I was 5 and have been an "Arkansawyer" ever since. I now live about 10 miles from where I grew up.

How did you get your start in making art?

My mother was an artist so I was exposed to art pretty early. I guess I actually got my start drawing in my school books (naughty me) but my teachers would see my work and when a project came up that meant a drawing in colored chalk on the blackboard, I was chosen. That made me feel special since I was not one of the elite, popular kids in school. I would try my very best so I could be chosen again. When drawing assignments came up I would help the other kids with their work too, I loved art.

Movin' On.jpg

("Movin’ On," I guess is my very favorite. 24”X30” oil. The square format shows actual color better. Today was not a good photo day.)

Who were your very first artistic influences and who are your current ones?

Well, I would have to say my Mom was my first influence and now, while I admire the work of many, Albert Beirstadt is my very favorite artist. I think I would have to say that I am INSPIRED, rather than influenced by other artists, many right here on Creative Spark. I also browse the Internet for inspiration.

What is your favorite medium, or what do you use most often?

I work in graphite, colored pencil, scratchboard, acrylic and oil but Oil has to be my absolute favorite. There was as period that I would have said acrylic but I did go back to oils and have pretty much stuck to it. However when I am squeezed for time I pick up the pencils so I can work in increments. I have a NEED to make art.

off the beaten path.jpg

("Off the Beaten Path," oil 16”X20”)

How much time do you spend on making art?

Very little at the moment but when my life is more ordered, I can lose an entire day and never notice where it went. Time doesn't even register when I lose myself in painting.

realism2.jpg

("Realism2" was a challenge to myself to see how close to Photorealism I could get, oils, 16”X20”)

Do you have a philosophy regarding the art-making process?

I suppose if you call it a philosophy, I would have to say just draw, paint or make whatever makes you happy and satisfied.

rosedone2.jpg

("Yellow Rose," oils, 18”X24”)

Tell us a place you'd love to visit, anywhere in the world, and why.

I have always loved the land/mountain scapes of Switzerland. I am not sure I would want to visit there at this point in my life but it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen.

What was the best present you ever received? Who gave it to you and why was it so special?

Boy, what a loaded question! I would have to say my son and he was given to me by my husband. Smile. I really cannot think of a special material present. I think most presents that I consider special would be of intrinsic value.

Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

Just that I appreciate the great camaraderie on this site and look forward to getting to know all of you better in the future. I hope all of you continue to make art, improve and be happy doing it.

oil painted vase.jpg

("Brass Vase," while not much of a painting, is still one of my favorites. It was a metal challenge and I chose brass and had a fun time painting it. 16”X20” painted in oil.)

Do you have a website, and/or social media platforms you would like to promote?

I used to maintain a website but deleted it a few years ago. My work can now be seen on facebook alone and of course, here on Creative Spark.

We'd like to thank snoball for giving us the opportunity to highlight her background and her work this month. ♥️

Thank you Wayne. Arty did a great job with the article and it was an honor to be chosen to be spotlighted. 💕

Wonderful interview and such a pleasure to see more of your beautiful work! Your work with oils is amazing and I'm so glad you've moved on from drawing in your school books. I hope this year gives you more opportunities to paint.

Thank you Donna. I'm looking forward to seeing all the spotlighted members. ❤️

It was nice to hear some of your history and just want to say I enjoy your beautiful paintings.

Wonderful interview! Your work is beautiful, Sno. I enjoyed reading about your past influences and your stories. Thanks so much for participating in this! ❤

Great to read more about you and to re-visit some of your beautiful paintings, Sno!

Congratulations on a great interview, thanks for telling us a little more about you. I admire your work very much and can recognize it when you post in "The Next Sketch". Keep them coming.:love:

Thanks Sanlynn, and Hermès. All accolades go to Arty for putting this together. :)❤️

Snoball, Ayin, very nice interview.
Snoball, nice to read about you and your art.
I love your art and your works very much.

Hi Sno, lovely works you chose. Thank you for your inputs to my work. Hope you have many more enjoyable arty sessions.

I knew there had to be a wonderful, graceful person behind such wonderful, graceful art.

Hi there Sno, lovely to see your works again and get to know you a little better:love:

Aw Bongo, what a nice thing to say! Hi Lyn, thank you and I will look forward to a future interview with you. :giggle:

Back