make dark mahogany

ntl

Contributing Member
I want to emulate a dark mahogany. So far I have a layer of trans. yellow and a layer of trans. red oxide. These, instead of Yellow Ochre + Indian Red which make a rich mahogany...

I have trans brown oxide, dioxazine purple, Da Vinci’s magnetite genuine-a trans black, and burnt umber, and others.

I want to stay with transparent paint for this. Any suggestions?

I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to acknowledge your post. Hopefully, someone responds soon

Can't help you, except to say, play with it. I would lay down some gesso on a piece of cardboard, let it dry and experiment with all those mixes on the gesso in spots.

I don't think you should rely on other people's recipes. Rather get in there and experiment until you are happy with your own mixture.

What color is dark mahogany? Deep red brown. Is it hot or cold or both? The overtones are red the undertones are brown. Is the brown hot or cold? Is the red hot or cold? Which umber is hot and which is cold? Same with the reds. Which is hot, which is cold? Mixing is not difficult like some would have you believe. Start with your local color or base color and add the other color which leans toward the color you want to arrive at. Mix small batches and when you find the combo you can mix the larger quantity you will need. Believe in yourself.

Thanks, All. I used a few combinations, most started with a mix of trans. red oxide and trans yellow oxide. I added browns, purple, reds or yellows as seemed appropriate, all transparents. I'm satisfied with it now, it is a study, after all.
Hermes, I wouldn't have had any idea of where to begin if someone hadn't posted this a few years ago:
"mahogany Indian Red leans purply. Very rich browns can be gotten with it and yellow ochre, they tend to be fairly opaque too, so they mix less vibrantly than transparent versions of those pigments (PR101 and PY42).(Transparents: PR101—Red Iron Oxide PY42 Transparent Oxide Yellow " Then I dug out my other transparents and went from there.
Wayne, You're correct re the color temperature.

Back