Mad as a Hatter

mbeckett

another Friday face. had to use watercolor instead of my usual alcohol marker as some of what i needed were drying out. this is more about the ink than the watercolor so posted it here. i might stick with using w/c for ccolor as the bristol vellum paper this is on took w/c quite nicely (as long as you don't get it too wet). 6 x 9".
facetasticfriday 2021-12-10.jpg

The colors are excellent! The water color shading on the hat is great and the hair really pops. I've only ever used alcohol markers for "color" in my drawings, but keep seeing people using watercolor and have been considering trying that out myself. Do you have a preference??

This looks amazing. I like the watercolor look, but in your other pieces where you stated it was all alcohol marker, I thought it almost looked like watercolor, so I would have believed this was too. You're good at fooling me with this media. ;)

thank you all! :)

The colors are excellent! The water color shading on the hat is great and the hair really pops. I've only ever used alcohol markers for "color" in my drawings, but keep seeing people using watercolor and have been considering trying that out myself. Do you have a preference??
i will probably switch to watercolor. i was worried about getting the colors bright enough for this piece with w/c but was quite happy with the result. i also felt more in control with the w/c, and they are archival where alcohol markers are not.

This looks amazing. I like the watercolor look, but in your other pieces where you stated it was all alcohol marker, I thought it almost looked like watercolor, so I would have believed this was too. You're good at fooling me with this media. ;)
yeah.. too much work making alcohol markers blend like w/c when i should have been using w/c all along! :LOL:

Very nice. I like the expression and the different colored eyes.
my daughter explained that he had different colored eyes. i am partially red / green color blind so i can't see them. i am lost if i don't have media that has color labels! :LOL:

i will probably switch to watercolor. i was worried about getting the colors bright enough for this piece with w/c but was quite happy with the result. i also felt more in control with the w/c, and they are archival where alcohol markers are not.
All of my art is so temporary I never even stopped to consider this 😅 that's a fantastic point. I may invest in some water colors just to prep for the future in which I might choose to sell or keep my art long term

This is great! I'm smiling just looking at it, since you've done such a great job capturing this mischievous expression. The colors, the posture - all of it so playful.

Great work!

Since Alice in Wonderland was a fave of mine as a child, I clicked on this title. And so glad I did! I have never used ink with WC, as learning WC is enough of a pursuit for me. This is a spectacular illustration. What really impressed me was the subtle, but very effective, value changes of red on the hatband. Bravo!

Since Alice in Wonderland was a fave of mine as a child, I clicked on this title. And so glad I did! I have never used ink with WC, as learning WC is enough of a pursuit for me. This is a spectacular illustration. What really impressed me was the subtle, but very effective, value changes of red on the hatband. Bravo!
when i was learning w/c i discovered that ink was a way to save a lack lustre painting. i guess this evolved out of that experience. your comment about the hat band made me smile. i am partially red green color blind, so i use what i know of color theory and sometimes "guess and by God" to choose colors. so glad it hit the mark! :)

Love it Michael. The watercolor worked great here. I know what you mean about watercolor being easier than the markers. I have been moving toward a similar observation about watercolor pencils.

Back