LightRail

Bongo

Got a late start, plus I didn't have any target in mind. Looked around for about an hour, then pulled into this parking space and -- voila! There was a good scene to do...
20231026_141240_copy_756x756.jpg

a lot of construction in this area. That part of the rail goes North but isn't operational yet. I set up in the corner of the lot.
20231026_135348_copy_756x756_1.jpg

Turned out to be cozy place to paint. Good light and no peeping Toms.
20231026_145227_copy_756x756.jpg

RIght behind me was a charging station, with mostly Teslas sucking up the juice. They took 15 - 20 minutes on average to fill up while the driver sat behind the wheel. When they left, they used the empty spot right next to my easel to turn around.... but they didn't make any noise and didn't emit any fumes so - quite polite of them I must say.

The sketch
20231026_141215_copy_756x756.jpg

The block in+
20231026_161506_copy_756x756_1.jpg

LightRail -- oil on 18" x 14" panel
LightRailx.jpg

comments welcomed

Really nice. There's a lot of energy, a lot to look at. Your simplification of this scene is worthy as an illustration in a children's book. I wonder where everybody's going...

Love this! Love your cars. You picked the ultimate intersection. It's uncanny, really. It couldn't be more perfect. It's got everything going for it: levels of interest, focus, confusion, action, lots to explore, tons of character, depth, wonderful color decisions, detail...I could go on, but I have to pee. ♥️

Good light and no peeping Toms. You really don't ask for much, Bongo. I tried to put myself in your shoes and decide what I would paint from your vantage point. That orange traffic cone in the foreground would be enough of a challenge. Wow, you really knocked it out of the park with this one! It's incredible!

You have a genius for seeing through the clutter in front of you and just pulling out a wonderful cityscape - while still showing lots of action. This is terrific!

Love the horizontals from the bridge and power lines on top, and the curving lines from the roads and street lights. The perspectve seems challenging, but you captured everything. This is really special! Well done!

Thank you all, really appreciate the feedback
.............I wonder where everybody's going...
that's a mystery that nobody can explain
Love this! Love your cars. ....
On the first pass, I just laid down quick brush strokes to indicate cars. When I went to clean up, I realized detailing a bunch of cars would take too long. Plus there is something about the sketchy-ness that gives the feeling of speed/motion that a detailed version might not.
This is super. Love the action. Nice quiet cars...Kinda scary not to hear them coming.
If those had been gas cars, pulling in and out every few minutes with the noise and fumes it would have been a different experience, and no doubt would have resulted in a different painting.
Good light and no peeping Toms. You really don't ask for much, Bongo. I tried to put myself in your shoes and decide what I would paint from your vantage point. That orange traffic cone in the foreground would be enough of a challenge. Wow, you really knocked it out of the park with this one! It's incredible!
This time of year the sun hugs the horizon and can make things difficult. I generally don't mind people dropping in on me, but people are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

Funny you said "traffic cones" That was the first thing that attracted me to the scene. But turned out that with the composition I chose, they would be problematic
..............Love the horizontals from the bridge and power lines on top, and the curving lines from the roads and street lights. The perspectve seems challenging, but you captured everything. This is really special! Well done!
Thank you Terri. The perspective was challenging, but I was looking for something challenging.

We tend to mentally tune out powerlines, telephone poles, signs, traffic lights, billboards, etc. when we experience or remember a scene. One of my goals with the street paintings is to "woke" people to the mess modernity has made on the landscape.

This is very interesting, lots to enjoy: the perspective, the cars, all the angles of the roads and lights - it works really well. 🙂

Thanks Kay - this was one of those times where everything fell into place without a lot of agonizing reappraisals.

On the first pass, I just laid down quick brush strokes to indicate cars. When I went to clean up, I realized detailing a bunch of cars would take too long. Plus there is something about the sketchy-ness that gives the feeling of speed/motion that a detailed version might not.
You're so right!

Back