CourtYard

Bongo

A while back I painted these buildings from the street side. Now they're just a week or two from occupancy so I thought it would be a good time to do this side when no cars/people are around.

20231212_113333_copy_800x600.jpg

I finished setting up when this massive cement truck rolled in to fill an embankment and blocks my view. As I'm running out of profanities to mumble, the truck re-positions to pour cement from the other end - and frees up my view. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

20231212_113635_copy_800x600.jpg

The sketch
20231212_125228_copy_800x600.jpg

Then relators show up to examine the property. I'm looking down, concentrating on mixing paint, and when I look up a $100,000+ Rivian van is parked in the lane blocking my line of sight. I found the driver and he was nice enough (or smart enough) to move the van when asked..

Making progress
20231212_151942_copy_600x800.jpg

"Courtyard" oil on 16" x 20" panel
Courtyardx.jpg

comments welcomed

Neither rain nor snow nor van nor cement mixer ... your persistence paid off, Bongo. I can see how it would be impossible to make up that view if it was blocked. Nice one!

I really like this one. Great color selections. You captured the abandoned/newness of the place. ♥️

Donna, Jo - thank you! When I saw this courtyard I was reminded of Giorgio de Chirico - a pre-surrealist painter. I left out the buildings in the background to help that vibe but the plants kill it - oh well.
Wayne - interesting about the arrow. I hadn't given it any thought.

Ayin - thanks. Remember my comment about right-hand bias on one of your posts? I did everything to avoid it in this painting, repainted a lot of it. And still despite my conscious effort to avoid it ---. Look at the road angling up on the right, and the light posts and buildings bending left. Something is off with me.

I love it, and especially the big arrow pointing the eye right out of the frame to follow the road. Wonderful!!
Ayin - thanks. Remember my comment about right-hand bias on one of your posts? I did everything to avoid it in this painting, repainted a lot of it. And still despite my conscious effort to avoid it ---. Look at the road angling up on the right, and the light posts and buildings bending left. Something is off with me.
Hmm. I'm looking closely, and I do see (kinda) what you're seeing, but it's pretty minor. I agree it's the right-handed bias, but it's also harder because of the wide curve and the depth of the scene above it. I'm thinking it was more challenging than casual first glance suggests, and you did great. I would likely have made a vertical plumb line to keep from going mad! :LOL:

Terrei - I like your idea about a plum line, I might try that. This is an ongoing problem for me.

When you have cataract surgery you have a choice of clear distant vision or clear close vision. Or what I chose - one eye for distance, one eye for close-up. That might be adding to the right-hand bias phenomenon. What I do sometimes when I'm going to be reading for a long time, is wear a pair of reading glasses, with one lense popped out. I might start doing that for painting and see if it helps... or start painting left-handed.

You made a great and very interesting painting out of it. Looks good, Bongo. ❤️

I do see what you mean about that right-hand bias, and I've struggled with it in many paintings before. I've had to go back and correct it. Other times, I've just left it be. I should start a post of the paintings where I've had this issue and show them. They would all be obvious since I'd be pointing them out. Now, which forum to put those in? Maybe Oils.

Now, which forum to put those in? Maybe Oils.
It's not just limited to oils. I've done it (lots) with acrylic and I've seen other artwork, pastels, etc. where there is righthand bias. Look on Instagram you will see, some established artist and well-known artists that have the affliction too. Maybe "ArtTalk" or "Contemporary" some non-medium specific forum - my thought.

Back