Leeds Castle Panorama Progress Painting

Yorky

Here’s a panorama I assembled from photos taken on a recent visit to Leeds Castle. It was a dull rainy day so I have substituted a blue sky.
Transferred from wetcanvas.

0gcwoh08qnqduhdrs07p7t98e1mnn549.JPG

My sketch 21×9 on 200lb Saunders Waterford rough paper:

7y4aj1q1mk1mxn8ar4bzrjq4uj6r612p.jpg

Initial washes applied:

3ya6l8yhmyqthdb49z0w4h807rhqgsxt.JPG

Foreground and trees added:

dgmnz8mylyi4r4nlp7otzd8zkgcaywqp.JPG

Windows added:

3t75zdcqjbcexu4byxp4qoggfvdz9sgu.jpg

Reflections etc:

fuo6vq0k7yaetpg5ll9jyyuiqfkap86k.JPG

Finished Painting:

466oxnzytrilfjoc8xl7wcdy13wwl1tk.jpg

Painting framed:

s5cjofmxogyruziobopj4zyoay5qfgyz.jpg

All in all an interesting painting to do.

Doug

Just beautiful work, Yorky. Was this sketch done in graphite?

Yes, it was scaled from the assembled print.
Doug
Thank you! I am ignorant of watercolor, and this looks so delicate and lush. I was curious if there needs to be a ground barrier between graphite and watercolor, as I hear so often in other media.

No, watercolour and pencil work fine together. Many painters never try to remove the pencil lines. I often strengthen my drawing with ink.
Doug

No, watercolour and pencil work fine together. Many painters never try to remove the pencil lines. I often strengthen my drawing with ink.
Doug
I learn something new every day around here. :) Thanks, Yorky!

Thank you for the kind of post I enjoy very much, Doug. It is kind of you to share your workflow with us. The wonderful end result is a bonus in my opinion. It is interesting to see such a variety of artistic tastes here, from my taste for grungy textures and sombre colours, to more refined tastes like yours.

Thank you for posting this Yorky. This is a wonderful piece and a great example of process. And I love it! ♥️

Yorky, thanks, it's a wonderful painting, and it's very nice to see the various stages and information about it.

Doug
this is a beauty! love the 'in progress' photos. i like how you termed using ink as "strengthened". i usually refer to adding ink as trying to "save" a painting! :LOL:

What a great idea to paint a panorama. Love the reflections and the curve of the foreground lawn area. Looks very good to me.. shadows, highlights, everything.

Doug, this came out great!!! That reflection is amazing. I don't know how I got out of the habit of visiting the Watercolor Forum on WC. I haven't seen your work in too long. Well done, sir!

Back