Last film you watched

Last things I've been watching have been limited series, so I haven't been posting them. I'm waiting to watch some films so I can be part of the conversation! :ROFLMAO: I've been watching that Dr. Death series (two seasons of that), based on true accounts of two different doctors (surgeons) who either didn't know what they were doing or intentionally killed or crippled their patients. In my opinion, it is intentional if it's a serial occurrence and you don't stop doing it. One doctor went to jail for life and the other is still practicing.

Got around to watching Miyazaki's The Wind Rises:

One of the critics said, "Perhaps the greatest animated film the cinema has ever seen." Hyperbole? Perhaps not really. I was blown away, even by Miyazaki standards.

Cosmic Journey ... A Soviet sci-fi film from 1936 set in the "future" of 1946 & unusually for the time ... a silent! ... its one of those "trip to the moon" efforts but surprisingly low on propaganda & high on FX ... could give Things to Come a run for its money and best of all ... fun to watch .

Saw a German film titled The Teachers' Lounge. In a manner of speaking it is Office Space for teachers, except it isn't really funny as such. School is about as close as you get to a dystopian nightmare, I tell you. Pretty brilliant piece of film making, but it does leave one a tad depressed and worried about the future of whatever it is that western civilization has turned into. :)

Recently saw The Florida Project, which I really loved. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but loved the cinematography and the uneasiness of it all. That's my jam in film for the most part--stories that make the viewer feel uncomfortable. If that's anyone else's thing, I could recommend plenty, but I don't usually name those here since I wouldn't think everyone would "enjoy" those kinds of movies. For instance, I really like Michael Hanake's films, especially The Seventh Continent.

I didn't know him,( but remember locandine)I read now that Defoe is in the cast, I love Defoe.
I saw Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot, with Joaquin Phoenix(great artist), about the cartoonist, cartoonist, Callahan, I didn't know his work, beautiful, it reminds me of Larson's humor and style but without animals. I think it's a good film and a story to tell with a film. good Van Sant is an important cast, Joaquin is supported well.

Bully (2001). Great film, great acting - but somewhat lacking in entertainment value, because it's pretty horrific stuff (and fairly closely based on actual events). Bobby has been, to put it mildly, a rather unpleasant character all his life, so his friends (why the heck are they "friends" with him in the first place then?) decide to kill him. Trailer:

I saw an interesting comment the other day: after centuries of struggle, in the west we have finally reached our dream goal: peaceful, safe, prosperous societies. The weird thing is that instead of making us happy, it seems to have caused a kind existential angst and spiritual malaise that has turned out to be deadly, both to individuals and potentially to all of society.

One can see it neatly depicted both in this film (teenagers with no real hopes or dreams descending into psychopathy) and in the previous film I raved about above (The Teachers' Lounge), depicting an entire society gone completely neurotic.

It remains to be seen whether these things go in cycles, or whether we have entered our death spiral. And with that cheerful thought, I'll return to my sketching. :D

Bully was quite a heavy movie. I wasn't a big fan of it, but it was interesting in its premise.

This conversation brings up a couple of movies in my mind, though I don't know why. One is the 1984 documentary Streetwise, and the other, completely unrelated, is a Todd Solondz movie calling Storytelling. Both had a lot of impact on me.

Saw this one yesterday:

A rather weird film, that, despite a virtual absence of any overtly violent or gory imagery, gets progressively more ominous, creepy and disturbing, and then ends rather bluntly without explaining what the heck is going on. I actually rather liked it - it's been a long time since a contemporary film has done much of anything for me.

This one points out something that we often overlook: if and when civilization ends, many of us will have absolutely no idea what happened or why. We'll simply one day wake up in a world where nothing works anymore, and we won't know whether it's just our local area, our city, our country or the whole world that has gone to hell. We'll spend days forlornly trying to connect to the internet, and the realization that this thing is, well, really big, will only slowly dawn on us...

I watched Saltburn. Not recommended. The scenery was lovely. Good acting. Did not care for where this movie went. Probably it’s well done production wise. It’s just one of those movies that left me feeling gross for a few days. It’s rare for a movie to make me feel regret for having watched it.

I watched Saltburn. Not recommended. The scenery was lovely. Good acting. Did not care for where this movie went. Probably it’s well done production wise. It’s just one of those movies that left me feeling gross for a few days. It’s rare for a movie to make me feel regret for having watched it.

Yup. Also got to see it, and it seems to be a new thing with movies and TV series. I had the same experience watching the series Succession: pretty much everyone in it is absolutely irredeemable, and you end up feeling you need to take a shower.

I have no problem with productions that are challenging or even quite shocking. But this sort of complete nihilism is not my thing.

I was in primary school when this hit the theaters:

At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Re-watched it yesterday. I, er, no longer think it's the greatest thing ever. But even so, I still found it surprisingly entertaining. They don't make space operas like they used to. :)

Not film but a telenovela on TVE Spain La Promesa. Story is set in 1913, beautiful clothes and fabulous jewelry. Stories about spanish nobility and their servants and kids from secret relationships between them. Old castilian spanish so can polish up my spanish. The castle El Rincon near Madrid it was filmed at exists and has a restaurant one can go dine fancy.

This is one of the times I wish was healthy enough to travel go see it.

Watched Lord of the Rings. That is to say, the 1978 animated version. It's actually pretty good, except that for reasons I can't remember anymore, it was never properly completed, so it ends bluntly, before the story is done. A sequel of sorts was made in 1980, but I found it all but unwatchable - only got around 30 minutes in before I simply couldn't stand it anymore.

THE PRINCE IS LOOKING FOR A SON,
the sequel to Eddie Murphy's hilarious Prince Coming to America released 30 years earlier,
the sequel is very bad, on the one hand you find the character and also some edited scenes from the first film, so a bit of nostalgia effect, curiosity to find the character you loved again, but it's a mess, the humor of the first film, the two protagonists of the first film are incredible comedians, they have dialectics, humor, language that you found in the first film but here it is soapy, the film had to have a language aimed at everyone, but above all with many references to the politically correct, it takes up the plot of the first by input and then he makes references to the first film and many more to political correctness, and that Hall and Murphy are very funny comedians who in this film seem limited both in terms of employment and above all in the possibility of being able to make people laugh as they know how to do. in the first film they played some very funny secondary characters, we also find them again but it's a strange film, the premise even if forced to make the film could have worked, he goes back to America to look for his son, but there he spends 2 seconds in the USA, there I thought that part of the film took place and something funny happened but in 2 minutes of film he finds his son and they leave for the kingdom of Zamuda, in reality I don't think it was a film to have many expectations about but I think it would have been nice to find the comedy of Eddie Murphie at least one more time, especially again in the role of one of his most iconic characters, he is an incredible comic actor, Jim Carrey I think works in every comedy, even family ones like Mr Popper's penguins, the Grinch, and in dramatic films Jim Arrey deserved an Oscar,
Eddie Murphy maybe we don't often find him in films that are suitable for him or that have decent writing.

Coming to America 2
the real, the original title

Coming to America was the title of the original but it was translated differently by me so I didn't know it by the original title, I knew the first film as The Prince Seeks a Wife, the sequel is therefore translated as The Prince Seeks a Son.

THE PRINCE IS LOOKING FOR A SON,
the sequel to Eddie Murphy's hilarious Prince Coming to America released 30 years earlier,
the sequel is very bad, on the one hand you find the character and also some edited scenes from the first film, so a bit of nostalgia effect, curiosity to find the character you loved again, but it's a mess, the humor of the first film, the two protagonists of the first film are incredible comedians, they have dialectics, humor, language that you found in the first film but here it is soapy, the film had to have a language aimed at everyone, but above all with many references to the politically correct, it takes up the plot of the first by input and then he makes references to the first film and many more to political correctness, and that Hall and Murphy are very funny comedians who in this film seem limited both in terms of employment and above all in the possibility of being able to make people laugh as they know how to do. in the first film they played some very funny secondary characters, we also find them again but it's a strange film, the premise even if forced to make the film could have worked, he goes back to America to look for his son, but there he spends 2 seconds in the USA, there I thought that part of the film took place and something funny happened but in 2 minutes of film he finds his son and they leave for the kingdom of Zamuda, in reality I don't think it was a film to have many expectations about but I think it would have been nice to find the comedy of Eddie Murphie at least one more time, especially again in the role of one of his most iconic characters, he is an incredible comic actor, Jim Carrey I think works in every comedy, even family ones like Mr Popper's penguins, the Grinch, and in dramatic films Jim Arrey deserved an Oscar,
Eddie Murphy maybe we don't often find him in films that are suitable for him or that have decent writing.
Too bad! I was reading an article the other day about how Hollywood is suffering right now from last year's writer's strike. "Stay alive till '25" is apparently the inside joke because of the time it takes to put out good work.

In the meantime, there will likely be more plonk like this produced, and it deserves to be ignored as well as trashed.

Too bad! I was reading an article the other day about how Hollywood is suffering right now from last year's writer's strike. "Stay alive till '25" is apparently the inside joke because of the time it takes to put out good work.

In the meantime, there will likely be more plonk like this produced, and it deserves to be ignored as well as trashed.

the brand, franchising, prequel, sequel, remake, is something they pushed for but actually never more than in this period, they want to limit the risks, go for a product that they are sure will have a sequel that is of quality or that is very cheap, not matter, they must risk as little as possible, now having to recover their losses.in reality, even if never before have we had more means of distribution, more mediums, more platforms, we have increasingly uniform products, that is, fewer possibilities for expression, fewer new products, certain surprising works costing very little which then grossed a lot or in any case probably astonished they wouldn't come out today because they are considered risky.especially with music, but I think it's the same,with music if I turn on the radio I will only find singers and songs that all seem the same, it is difficult to distinguish the artists and the songs, the only ones who offer something new are the great artists, like NIck Cave etc.I believe that with technology and the fact that they are focusing on a standardized product and on the fact that in music they no longer invest in scouting, a promise, someone to put them through the ranks but who can then arrive, now they are focusing on a guy who has never recorded a record because it is at the beginning but to do so, it must have 3 million followers, so maybe we will have well-known singers, maybe soon Cristiano Ronaldo will sing applying to his person. waiting for this in my country at least in music they only advertise people who have appeared on reality shows, this for 20 or 30 years, and in the last 10 years social networks, the internet have been added, in the future this will count even more than TV, but the TV now embodies this in various television music programs.cinema and music seem similar, in cinema therefore they tend to favor fewer and fewer original products, my fear is that soon the algorithm and artificial intelligence will be behind the majority of films, therefore the films of really good directors who made themselves known before these last few years they are the ones who make and will still make films of a very high level and that have something to say, like Estwood, Vilneuvve, Scorsese, NOlan, Burton if he feels like it, etc.

Back