Landscape near Schermerhorn

Hans

Although I consider myself more of a portraitpainter than a landscape painter I occasionally do cityscapes and landscapes. The attached watercolor is a typically Dutch polderlandscape near the village of Schermerhorn. It is based on one of my own photographs and as usual without underdrawing. The size is 40 * 50 cm.
Comments as usual appreciated.
Hans

Landscape near Schermerhorn.jpg

The background is excellent. i think the detail at the forground should be more strong in value to seprate it from the midground.
beautiful landsacpe.

Very good. I love the delicate colours as well as the combination of curves and straight lines.

Beautifully done.

I love the windmills in the distance and the reflections in the water. The composition invites the eye to wander around and find all the little treats you have put there.

The fact that you painted this without under drawing just makes it more impressive.

Lovely scene and very nicely painted. I like the depth in the scene and the variety of interesting elements.

Nice and serene. I like the background and the variety of shapes most. Lazarus has a good point about separating the foreground and the middle ground a bit more.

Beautiful work, very serene and relaxing. My eyes/brain must see differently because I don't agree that the foreground/midddle ground would benefit from separation. I think it's right as it is. For me, the enjoyment is in my eye wandering around, and those fence posts at the front are very strong already. It's a lovely timeless scene.

I love the soft, muted tones here. Feels like a chilly, serene scene. Beautiful!

I like this a lot, especially the depth from foreground to background, in what seems to Holland. (y)

Back