Kitchen & Bath Gallery - post#3

Trier

Supporting Member
3 more doors -
I don't know why this one is always black, can't seem to delete it either. It shows the three doors together.
#11.JPG

#8_.JPG

The Egyptian one was a real struggle all the way around; tried combo of tomb paintings and inscriptions with a Picasso abstract approach = doesn't work well, especially if you don't draft things out and just paint loosely. The cartouches are on separate pieces of paper that I painted and glued on. don'tmind the spelling etc, its late and I don't care.

Wonderful! For some reason, your work in this format is really doing it for me (the tall format).

Did you paint that Egyptian one as one piece and then cut it...or? How did you get it to match up? I like it a lot. Different than your other work. I like that you keep trying new things.

Did you paint that Egyptian one as one piece and then cut it...or? How did you get it to match up? I like it a lot. Different than your other work. I like that you keep trying new things.
Thank you for the kind comments
Here is the layout paper I used.
P1000791EgyptKitchenCenterCropM1.JPG

Thanks for the interest.

I was going to take a photo of my final layout but got distracted. In my efforts to answer your question, I luckily found the original center pattern that I used to compose the painting.

I originally planned to make one large painting and cut it as you surmised, but I knew I probably couldn’t bear to cut up an integrated composition if it turned out well;
Besides, there would be a problem for me to cut it into 2 pieces exactly to size.
Furthermore, I could not see how to get a good balance of color areas in each of the pieces separately and balance with each other.

Finally, I used a large sheet of used white wrapping paper to lay out a carefully measured center section that was the same size as the distance between the 2 cupboard doors.
I then clamped 2 pieces of painting paper on the center pattern piece, with their edges leaving a gap between them of the proper size (7 inches).

Then I used a yardstick to lay the main composition lines across all 3 areas at once. As you can probably see, I settled on a “Z” pattern to sort of bind the two together, and did not paint the center wrapping paper area at all except for what got covered from extended brush strokes on the 2 side pieces.

All very time consuming.

Many lessons learned.

Glad to answer any question, or clarify the above.

Regards,
Trier

Thanks for your thorough answer. It sounds like a lot of trouble, but the way you did it does make perfectly good sense. A better plan than to cut up a single piece.

I almost missed this because of the similarity of the title! I particularly like the Egyptian ones. I'd love to see another photo of your whole kitchen. (y)

Back