Kay Smith AKA KreativeK

Artyczar

Hi all, welcome to April!

We are continuing our Moderator's Spotlight series here with Texas artist, Kay Smith. Ya'll have known her (some of you for many years) as KreativeK. She's not only been an incredible asset to the site, but she's also a formidable teaching artist. Her watercolor techniques have been immensely helpful to us all, and her work is awe-inspiring.

As a humble person, Kay was a little bit reluctant to speak about herself, so we feel very fortunate to be able to get this interview with her. I was so happy to learn as much as I could about her. I'm a huge fan of her output and am more than grateful to have her here as a moderator and forum member.

Here are her questions and answers:

Where did you grow up and where do you live and work now?

West Texas on a farm/ranch. Now I live 22 miles south in a small rural town of Big Spring, the crossroads of west Texas, halfway between El Paso and Dallas. I bought a small frame house in 1998 and operate an art studio/frame shop gallery 7 days a week.

How did you begin making art in your life?

Art lessons in oils in Big Spring as our tiny school had no art.

1Sophisto-Cat KS.jpg

Sophisto-Cat, watercolor, 12 x 9 inches.

What kinds of media and subject matter do you like using and why?

I've used all media but watercolor is my favorite for the past 30 years. Subject matter faves are florals and animals and I'm learning landscapes.

From where do you draw inspiration?

Everywhere.

2White Rabbit.jpg

White Rabbit, watercolor, 22 x 30 inches.

Who are your artistic influences, or what types of art have influenced your work?

My instructor Ken Hosmer.

3Black Tie hollyhock.jpg

Black Tie Hollyhock, watercolor, 30 x 22 inches.

How much time would you say you spend making art?

Several hours a day without fail.

What is something you have not yet tried but have always wanted to?

Cold wax techniques and have a class scheduled in April.

What is something that motivates you in life?

Color and design.

4Asian Persimmons.jpg

Asian Persimmons, watercolor, 15 x 22 inches.

What is something you’ve learned in being an artist that another artist might find helpful?

Paint or draw daily, even if for only 5 minutes to get into the habit of thinking art, doing art. Stand to paint and use large brushes.

5Chicken ala King.jpg

Chicken ala King, watercolor 22 x 15 inches.

What has been your most satisfying non-artistic accomplishment?

Having degrees in Nursing and practicing 36 years, and having completed police academy training doing law enforcement 3.5 years.

Lastly, do you have a website, and/or social media platform(s) you would like to promote?

kaysmithbrushworks.blogspot.com
kaysmith.artspan.com

Last edited:
Gorgeous work, Kay! Reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe, but you have your own style.

BTW, try Ceracolors, cold water-soluble wax paints. Natural Pigments manufactures them in the US and you can buy them online from them, since I see very few dealers even know they exist. It's a modern update on an ancient medium that is truly archival, highly versatile, and you'll love them after watercolors and likely won't need to learn any new techniques. No special tools needed, unlike true encaustics. No muss, no fuss, just terrific and beautiful. Ceracolors by Natural Pigments

I think I may have posted some of them before on this site.

Kay, I enjoyed learning more about you. I love and appreciate nurses. It was a pleasure to see w your works in this thread that I haven't seen before.

Beautiful work, Kay! Your watercolor skills are awesome! :) Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Thank you Kay, it's good to get to know you! These are beautiful examples of your art, I like them all, thanks for sharing. :)
(y)

Great to learn a little more about you, Kay! Your work is always awesome to view. Can't wait to see what you do with the cold wax class.

Happy to learn more about you after all these years Kay. I have always loved the beautiful vibrant colors you use in your work. Many people make watercolor look almost pastel in colors but you make them sing.

Kay, thanks ever so much for your dedication to nursing, public service, and your never ending contributions to the art community. The encouragement, advice, support and time your have devoted to us is greatly appreciated. Having read your biographical info and accomplishments on several sites, it is amazing what you have accomplished. The bio on Daily Paintworks, detailing your many works published in the Splash series and others is impressive. I encourage other members to marvel at how much a self-taught artist can accomplish. Hey, since you won't brag about yourself, I'll have to do it for you! Your talent is admired by many.

These chosen works are really special. The size (full sheets on some, wow!) is admirable, and they are all award winning. Asian Persimmons appears 3D, and White Rabbit is a masterclass in clean colors, composition and shadows.

Ayin, thanks for the interview (wish it were longer, as Kay is so multi-talented!) and all you do for CS. You and Kay are prime examples of how one person can make a positive difference ion the lives of so many.

I would like to ditto what Joy says about you, Kay. You are definitely an inspiration. We came close to meeting about 4 years ago and hope to get it done one of these days. Fun to get to "know" you. Thanks for sharing and helping us all.

You are such an inspiration Kay! I honestly never cared about watercolor, until I seen your work- simply magical! ❤️

Ayi, Kay, beautiful interview, Ka, it's always nice to admire your art and it's nice to read this interview of yours.
I really admire your watercolors and also your paintings and drawings that you made on books or sketchbooks, I don't remember the technical term of that type of art, but I remember those works as some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.
The paintings related to the interview are also very beautiful.

I’m always so impressed by your work, Kay, and it was nice to learn a little bit more about you. I hope you enjoy the cold wax class and look forward to how it might inspire you. Thanks for sharing your work here with all of us!

I know there is not really a right and wrong way to do watercolors, but when I see your work I often say to myself "See John, THIS is how you do watercolor!" :)

Back