July Water Media Challenge

Joy - Beautiful sunflower - we both often seem to pick the same ref, my sunflower half done.
Kay - Lovely Chipmunk? We dont have Chipmunks in NZ, are they of the Squirrel family?
Jo - I do love that gorgeous yellow of your Iris!

Nicely done @Jo ! That's great- and, of course, the purple *pops* that yellow even more!

Terrific work!

Goodness, with these lovely references I thought there would be oodles of posts by now! I am not a good flower painter, and seem to have problems with yellow (and most other colors ;)) so I attempted the sunflower. It is a watercolor in a W & N 140CP 5 x 7 sketchbook. My first experience with their paper and I was impressed; I will never go back to cheap sketch paper again.

View attachment 32123
Beautiful Sunflower Joy. I think you are using the same Sketchbook as I've been using. Winsor & Newton Watercolor 200gms A5. It's excellent and ok for watery washes too, as long as they aren't too wet. Great sketchbook!

Vivien and JStarr, thanks so much. I'm learning some things in watercolor. One is I need more patience!

I tried the elephant in a watercolor sketchbook, can't really see as an artist put his info over it. It may be Daler Rowney. Nice paper. Watercolor and waterbrush. Then I added ink. The elephant was so vague without the ink. 7 x 10 inches.

cswater-challenge.jpg

Vivien and JStarr, thanks so much. I'm learning some things in watercolor. One is I need more patience!

I tried the elephant in a watercolor sketchbook, can't really see as an artist put his info over it. It may be Daler Rowney. Nice paper. Watercolor and waterbrush. Then I added ink. The elephant was so vague without the ink. 7 x 10 inches.
You already have more patience than I-
I gave up on wc when I couldn't figure out what paper surface allowed washes and glazes without lifting the colour----- I did not have room in my life for that kind of frustration.
Nice Nellyphant- have you gone to the preserve near... Fredericksburg? https://www.visitthepreserve.com/

Jo, your yellow iris does work with what you say is a busy background. In fact it goes with the center of interest which is the iris. Keep practicing 'cause you are going in the right direction!

JStarr, have not been to the preserve. Only animals I might draw or paint are horses and cows. I sketch the grand-dogs but no real paintings of them.

One of our daughters considers herself a Texan- we'd go just to see the nellyphants.
Nice to have a Texan daughter. We are immigrants, originally from New Mexico. We have enjoyed retirement here, sort of in the middle for trips to East or West Coast. We have always left in the hot summer to the mountains of New Mexico. Went to Canada our first 10 years of retirement. Can't really travel distances now so spending the hot days at home. We lived in Phoenix 2 years before retiring and Gene's brother lived in Sierra Vista so love the desert, too.

Practicing my watercolor. This isn't what was in my head, but I'm posting anyway. Ha. It's in the Canson mix media large sketchbook so about 8 x 10 inches. A bit of ink. I don't have a tiny brush for the hairs.

wmchallenge0723.jpeg

Practicing my watercolor. This isn't what was in my head, but I'm posting anyway. Ha. It's in the Canson mix media large sketchbook so about 8 x 10 inches. A bit of ink. I don't have a tiny brush for the hairs.
Chipster's looking fat and happy- you did a good job.

Joy: Great job on the sunflower - I love the flow of the petals and leaves
Kay: You chipmunk is so cute and alive- he's got such a quizzicle look
Jo: Love the colors in your flower painting - they really pop! (like the busy background too! :) Your elephant is simply awesome! I love the chipmunk too! You've been a busy girl with all the paintings lately!
Vivien: Good to see you painting again. There's something very whimsical and charming about your sunflower - I think it's beautiful!

Same here, no notices of watched threads.
Jo: super job on the little striped fellow!
Viv: love your macro view sunflower so cheerful!

Back