Jacks

Bongo

20231115_122300_copy_800x600.jpg

This Jack-In-The-Box sits on the section of Aurora Blvd where working girls look for part-time jobs.
It was so bitter cold I was ready to pack up and go home but seeing the girls working so hard I figured "if they can do it, I can do it" --
that is stay and paint.

20231115_122316_copy_800x600.jpg

I prefer working "sight-size" but that's often not possible in the city - but this - this was close - but my only option.

the sketch:
20231115_130215_copy_800x600.jpg

It dawned on me that since the sidewalk was going to be in the painting that meant I would be in the painting too!
but I chose to leave me out.

block in+
20231115_133438_copy_800x600.jpg

"Jacks" - oil on 14" x18" panel
Jack.jpg

comments welcomed

Bongo, good job on this one. You are brave to set your easel next to the cars passing by. Was there ppl walking on this side walk? If so were they stopping to talk to you? That's a good attitude you have 👍 after seeing the girls working you can stay painting. I'm presently trying to cather together courage to go paint buildings in the city center. It's the ppl and tourists l'm worried about.

Did l ask you earlier how do you carry your wet painting home? I see your easel setup but does it fold somehow and you can leave the wet painting in the esel package? We probably talked about this long time ago but I can't remember.

Another well thought out piece. I'm always amazed when I see your photos that you end up with such wonderful simplicity in your cityscapes. Terrific work! 👏

I had the same thoughts as Terri - wonderful simplicity. Maybe when you write your book on plein air painting in the city you'll divulge your secrets. :)

Great job once again, Bongo. I too, am impressed at how you can simplify a very busy scene and still make a great painting from it. ❤️

Thanks Wayne, Jo, Terri, Donna, Snowball - really appreciate taking the time out to comment.

I have no secrets to simplifying:
I look thru a viewfinder and establish in my mind the 4 corners of the scene I'm going to paint.
THen I sketch the big shapes only within that area. As I paint I decide which details within those shapes I'm going to keep and which to leave out.
Bongo, good job on this one. You are brave to set your easel next to the cars passing by. Was there ppl walking on this side walk? If so were they stopping to talk to you? That's a good attitude you have 👍 after seeing the girls working you can stay painting. I'm presently trying to cather together courage to go paint buildings in the city center. It's the ppl and tourists l'm worried about.

Did l ask you earlier how do you carry your wet painting home? I see your easel setup but does it fold somehow and you can leave the wet painting in the esel package? We probably talked about this long time ago but I can't remember.
Mo - you'll find most people are too busy going about their business to stop and watch paint dry. I would suggest for your first time you go at a time and place where there are few people then move on when you've gained a little confidence Some plein air painters like to chit-chat and meet new people. That's not me. I've developed a few stock replies and ploys to get out of conversations. But honestly, most people will just at most glance your way and move on. I've only had positive interactions.

I use a half -box French easel that folds up and can be carried on your back like a backpack. Weighs 10-11 pounds. For short distances, I just carry it by the handle. The wet painting could stay on the easel, but I prefer to use my home-made carrier.
It's made from a 16" x20" store-bought ($10.) cradled panel. I flip it over and attach an 18"x14" painting panel to the inside - any panel that size or smaller will work. I put the whole thing on the easel when I paint, cause it adds extra stability .

soo.jpg

Nice thing about using it on the French Easel I can just lower the mast, and it makes a nice "table" to use while attaching a foam-core cover with rubber bands. With an 1/8 piece of hardboard (masonite) and 4 strips of wood and a piece of foam core you can easily make one any size you like. Happy to answer any other questions about it.

Roosevelt5as.jpg

The three pieces of my kit - bag of supplies, easel, wetpanel carrier.

Thanks for all good advice and info. Your french easel sounds neat when you can use it as a back bag. I never tried french easel.
I googled cradled panel and that is a very good choice. I need a wet panel carrier inside car b/c my cat travels there same time with wet paintings all around and sometimes she needs to jump over the wet paintings although she's talented doing that. 😆
Thanks so much for the ideas to make my own, l prefer to make my own. That way I get it the way I want like l did with my pochade box as l needed it to be very light weight b/c I walk often long distances in the forest to get to the painting location. It's so good to see your setup. 👍

Wow Bongo, amazing. I knew I was going to love the result of this one as I scrolled down from the first Jack pic. And, of course, I did! It's so cool. I wish I was in the market to buy (and you were offering to sell). I love your work. Also, thank you for all your details about your process. I am always very grateful for that. I too was wondering about carrying wet pieces home. And I personally would not want to talk to any strangers walking up to me. I would have a list of comebacks to be able to politely end conversations fast so I could get back to work. :ROFLMAO:

Arty, sometimes it's good to talk to ppl who come by 😊 the last sale l did was directly from the easel painting pleinair. I never thought that would happen to me, l had only read about it, dreamt about it but the world is a magical place... from that day on l've changed my habits a little bit.

Back