Is Anyone Else Watching the News about the Titan?

Grizabella

Was Ellen E. on Wet Canvas
I've been anxiously following the news about the lost submersible Titan that's missing with only a little less than 11 hours of oxygen left. Is anyone else following that?

I'm thinking maybe it imploded. I saw one of the experts say that if there had been so much as a tiny scratch on that window, it would have had to be replaced to make sure it didn't implode and another said the whole submersible had a "shelf life" of how many times it could safely be used because the constant pressure and release of the pressure would cause weaker spots. This guy was using it many times.

yea I think it’s futile. I’m thinking it got snagged on something. It has weights to release to increase its buoyancy to float to the top quicker and try at hasn’t happened. But if it did the sub is bolted shut😬

I know. This man didn't like the term "tourist" applied to his business and he made people sign a waiver about the chances of death, but he definitely was charging tourists to support his business. The waiver and not using the term "tourist" were legal technicalities to keep him from getting sued. I'd never, ever get bolted into that thing so it could only be opened from the outside. That's nuts. Not even if they were only charging fifty cents.

It's been widely covered, and hard to watch. These people paid serious money for this experience, and now some serious safety flaws are coming to light.

A lot of speculation going on, regular noises from a certain area being reported, etc.

I personally have claustrophobic tendencies: can't even have a regular MRI. I couldn't set foot in that thing, knowing it would be sealed from the outside. This just seems like hell. :(

One can only continue to hope for a good outcome, while there's reportedly still life support.

Terri, I'm like you. I have to be medicated to have an MRI. Last one I had the doctor forgot the medication order and that 20 minute MRI was about a week long. It was all I could do to force myself to lie still and get through it. I sure didn't want to have to be taken out and then go back in to start over. Actually, that was the next to last one now that I think of it. The last one was more like a CAT scan and wasn't so bad and I only had to have one foot in it that time.

The only consolation I could find in this whole situation is that they say if the Titan ruptured and imploded, then the death would be within a tiny fraction of a second so there would just be no awareness for the people. But the other possibilities, like a fire or loss of power or oxygen running out are horrible to think about.

I'll just give that a miss too, I hate to even go in caves. I think of all that earth above me and what happens if an earthquake. . . . . . . .

The owner also said something about safety- just a sec... yup- found it.

"...at some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk-reward question."

He was right- it is a risk reward question. He and his customers- but more him because he knows what his own techs told him about the weakness of the build- they risked it all, and now they will lose it all.

Even if it was found 'in time', there've been very few successful submersible machine rescues, ever. It is like rescuing an airplane in the air.

Well they found it. Maybe imploded. Sucks but rather go that way than contemplating my life for 2 days. 😞

I'll just give that a miss too, I hate to even go in caves. I think of all that earth above me and what happens if an earthquake. . . . . . . .
My late husband and I drove to L.A. before that big '89 earthquake and we got lost, so we drove through under that freeway where so many people died when the thing collapsed and even got stuck in traffic awhile under it. When I saw the coverage of the earthquake, I literally got nauseated watching it because we'd been there so recently and gotten stuck in stopped traffic there. There was an earthquake while we were at his mom's house that really scared us, but when we got upstairs and talked about it, it turns out his sister hadn't even felt it, she was so used to them.

Well they found it. Maybe imploded. Sucks but rather go that way than contemplating my life for 2 days. 😞
Yes, I agree. That was my one consolation----that if it imploded, at least it would be faster than lightning and they wouldn't have even known there was a problem. I can't even imagine having to spend hours knowing there wasn't anything anyone could do possibly and just having to sit there and wonder if you were going to be rescued.

My late husband and I drove to L.A. before that big '89 earthquake and we got lost, so we drove through under that freeway where so many people died when the thing collapsed and even got stuck in traffic awhile under it. When I saw the coverage of the earthquake, I literally got nauseated watching it because we'd been there so recently and gotten stuck in stopped traffic there. There was an earthquake while we were at his mom's house that really scared us, but when we got upstairs and talked about it, it turns out his sister hadn't even felt it, she was so used to them.
I don't remember a "big" 89 earthquake. We had one in 1971 and another in 1994. Those were the "big" ones where freeways collapsed. I lived through both and lived close to the epicenters during them. :(

Just FYI on LA earthquake history.

As for the implosion of the Titan, is it an extremely sad story, and seemed like it was never a good or safe thing to do from the get go. It's too bad and I'm sure their families are horrified! I just can't imagine what they are going through.

I don't see how anyone could forget the one I'm talking about. It collapsed the freeway and killed lots of people. It may have been '88 instead of '89. I don't remember the exact year. His mom lived in L.A. but the real big earthquake wasn't there----the earthquake at his mom's was much smaller but still scary because I live in Oregon. We seldom get earthquakes here. The big one I was referring to was San Francisco.

As for the submersible implosion, it has to be horrible for the families. Even for me, it's hard to grasp that in less than the blink of an eye, all their loved ones are just gone, never to be seen again. Usually there's a body to deal with and say goodbye to, but in this case there isn't anything----just poof! and they're gone.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the Northern California quake. You are right, that one was 89. It was one of the larger ones, about the same as the 94 and 71 ones down here.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the Northern California quake. You are right, that one was 89. It was one of the larger ones, about the same as the 94 and 71 ones down here.
That's okay. I should have thought more about it and been specific but I'm an Oregon girl, born and raised, and I haven't travelled much so I'm not really solid on locations. I've been to Washington, California, Nevada (I quit going to Nevada----it left a ring around my finger more than once) and that's really about it. I don't fly, either. I already did that and see no reason to do it again. There's just something that sits wrong with me about being that far up in the air. My late husband was no help---he told me "well, if the plane goes down, it's not like it falls out of the sky like a rock, you know." And that's supposed to help? I get to sit and wait for an hour knowing I'm going to die? :ROFLMAO:

I had a friend from Georgia who spent a few months with me many years ago and she told me, "If you're supposed to die in a plane crash and you won't fly, then one is going to fall out of the sky on you." Gee, thanks, Penny----every so often the F-16's that don't usually fly over here will come screaming over at low altitude and every single time, I sit here paralyzed, remembering what she said and preparing for death. o_O They do it so seldom I forget what that horrible noise is long enough to wonder if it's my time. :LOL:

Titan, previously called Cyclops 2, was a submersible that imploded on 18 June 2023 while transporting tourists to visit the wreckage of Titanic. The submersible was created and operated by OceanGate. It was the first privately-owned submersible with a claimed maximum depth of 4,000 m (13,000 ft),and the first completed crewed submersible with a hull constructed of titanium and carbon fiber composite materials. I am not sure if this is what you are refering to.

Back