Inktense Pencils.

Schuee

Hello, I wonder whether work done with Inktense pencils, which when water is added become ink, would come under this forum.

I suppose, if used dry, they would fit into the drawing forum.

Thank you.

p.s. I hope its all right to ask this question here. Perhaps you would let me know, Kay.

Back at Site X, I put my Inktense efforts in Watermedia, if that's any help whatsoever :) I don't think that the Pen-and-Ink purists considered them ink, and I don't consider them colored pencils - that's my personal two cents on the matter.

Last edited:
Well, it should go by what YOU consider them as. Who gives a hoot what anyone else thinks of them, or for that matter, what some other site categorized them as???? This is a different site, and I think I will be saying that for the last time. No offense.

Thank you, everyone. I’m glad I can be free and easy and post them where I think. Thanks for the encouragement. I didn’t want to offend anyone.

When I use Inktense I don't usually use water and put them under colored pencil. I think you should put them where you feel they fit. Who cares as long as we get to see your work.

Part of the fun of most of the newer materials (Inktense, watercolour sticks, ArtGraf, etc,) is that they move easily between drawing and painting. I use lots of stuff that doesn't fit well into strict categories, so really appreciate the approach to posting here.

My thinking is like yours Penny. Used with water, I'd definitely class them as watermedia.

I never use them dry, but if I did I'd probably think of them as coloured pencils.

I very often use watercolour pencils or watercolours for most of a piece and then finish off with dry coloured pencils on top for detail, so I was going to ask if that's ok to post in watermedia, but it seems there's no strict rules here I'm guessing that would be OK too.

Part of the fun of most of the newer materials (Inktense, watercolour sticks, ArtGraf, etc,) is that they move easily between drawing and painting. I use lots of stuff that doesn't fit well into strict categories, so really appreciate the approach to posting here.
Thanks, Triss. It is good that the forums aren’t hidebound as to what you can use or post.

My thinking is like yours Penny. Used with water, I'd definitely class them as watermedia.

I never use them dry, but if I did I'd probably think of them as coloured pencils.

I very often use watercolour pencils or watercolours for most of a piece and then finish off with dry coloured pencils on top for detail, so I was going to ask if that's ok to post in watermedia, but it seems there's no strict rules here I'm guessing that would be OK too.
Thanks, Claudia. Yes, I think of them as watercolour but the description states that when wet they turn to ink, so it looks as though they could fit, watercolour, ink, mixed media, drawing - in fact, all sorts! As I mainly draw animals, I expect I’ll post in the Wildlife and animal forum and cross-post to others. We will see what takes the fancy. 🙂

Though they are indeed ink, their main use (for me at least and what I originally read in their promotions) is as part of your watercolor arsenal.
FWIW, the line between watercolor and ink is so blurry as to be meaningless. Plenty of line and wash painting include both, but are considered watercolor. Asian traditional paintings are derived from using ink in the same way you would western aquarelles.
If you asked me to categorize (and nobody did ask me), I would say that using a pen device of some kind makes it more of an "ink", but it's not the pigment/binder combination that's the determinant, it's the usage. Inktense is an indelible ink of some kind that is in a traditional watercolor binder and is initially water soluble, but not once dried. So how you apply it is the key to the label I would use.
I'm grateful that CAF doesn't have hard and fast rules all over. Why limit creativity?

I think the Inktense are considered colored pencils so they might fit into about 3 different forums. Colored pencil, water media or drawing and you can always x-post.

Though they are indeed ink, their main use (for me at least and what I originally read in their promotions) is as part of your watercolor arsenal.
FWIW, the line between watercolor and ink is so blurry as to be meaningless. Plenty of line and wash painting include both, but are considered watercolor. Asian traditional paintings are derived from using ink in the same way you would western aquarelles.
If you asked me to categorize (and nobody did ask me), I would say that using a pen device of some kind makes it more of an "ink", but it's not the pigment/binder combination that's the determinant, it's the usage. Inktense is an indelible ink of some kind that is in a traditional watercolor binder and is initially water soluble, but not once dried. So how you apply it is the key to the label I would use.
I'm grateful that CAF doesn't have hard and fast rules all over. Why limit creativity?
Thank you for your thoughts, Bartc. Very informative.

I think the Inktense are considered colored pencils so they might fit into about 3 different forums. Colored pencil, water media or drawing and you can always x-post.
Yes, snoball. Thanks. Cross-posting is a good idea.

When I log on the Creative Spark, I find myself browsing to see what's happening using the "What's New" at the top rather than limiting myself to specific forums. I have discovered a lot of styles and art that I wouldn't see if I was focusing on particular forums. That's something I really love about Creative Spark.

I think that is especially helpful since it isn't always clear just where something would "fit." I haven't been doing much cross posting because a lot of people seem to see my work regardless of where I post it. (y)

Thanks, Anne. I do that, too, check the new posts. It’s nice to know you’ve had good experiences posting on the site.

I do the 'What's New' thing too. It's a really good feature - it means I go into forums I wouldn't normally look at because I don't do that particular media or subject myself.

Back