How to price other peoples art?

16ga

Ok so here’s a new one. How do you price other peoples art work to sell?
I tend to pick painting up at yard sales and flee markets because I went the frame and such. Most are unknown or barely known artists who I can’t find anything doing a google search.
I know I could sand down and paint over them but honestly I don’t like the idea of destroying other peoples art work so I’ve ended up with a small stack of paintings to sell off.

Any advice on how to price such things? Is it appropriate to just dump them cheap?

Give them away. Someone else may value them. Clearly it isn't about money for you, so why put a price on them at all?

On the other hand, you can put a price on every piece! All art should have a price tag, some not so high but something decent. If people get an artwork for free, it's so easy for them to throw garbage a free gift. They think: "I got it free, it can go to bin." Unless you know someone who really appreciates art and you know they won't throw it away. That's what I was taught, art works should live and not to be thrown to garbage.
To know the price, you can test what people are ready to pay.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
I do tend to give such things away if family or close friends want them.
Otherwise I usually do at least 1 yard sale a year and can put such things out at them. The last ones I sold I think were all under $5.

Back