How to fill empty paint tubes.,

Bongo

Trying to fill an empty 60ml tube with T. white from a 200ml tube. I think it's about full, but when I wring it, it's not even a third full. Tried tamping down the paint in the tube with the blunt end of a screwdriver, but the paint isn't vicious enough, screwdriver handle just goes right thru it. SO what is a good way to fill empty tubes?

Vladimir Volegov showing in one of his youtube film how to make it. i will try to find it later.

There you go. found it with first click attempt in his yt channel. start at 4:25.

Here's how I do it.

If from a tube to another, squeeze into tube from open bottom. If making your own paint apply product to open end with palette knife. Empty tube should have cap on.
When tube is about one third, to one half 'full', grasp tube, cap side down, like a small captured bird. Firmly, but not so hard as to crush. The cap should not protrude from fist. Then lightly bang down fist on a firm cushioned surface like the back of a chair or a small towel balled up on a sturdy table. The paint will quickly sink down. Apply more paint into open end and repeat as required.
When the tube it filled to your desire, close and firmly fold open end AT LEAST three times. Try and make this even. If you've been filling with a palette knife and not another tube there will be some mess. Don't worry about this. recover this paint into a small pile.
There will still be air pockets. Remove cap. Grasp tube again as before, but cap side up. Bottom of tube should be well within fist so as not to crush when again bang down tube on firm surface. If you can squeeze the tube just so when doing this, it won't bulge out to bottom, but it doesn't matter much if it does. Though it will be harder to tell when the air pockets have all gone I suppose.
When the paint drops at the cap end, you can, if you filled with palette knife, refill at the nozzle from the little pile of paint as though this is a super mini tube of paint.
When the paint level ceases to drop any further (without expanding the base of the tube) you know all air pockets are removed. Squeeze paint tube so paint is level to cap opening. Naturally the tube base might need to be folded up more after compacting contents.
I wouldn't recommend this method if tubing up paint everyday. As it would be a bit hard on the wrist, but this is basically how it's been done for about a century.

Last edited:
Marc, That’s a great description. Whew, If I ever mix up my own paints I’ll put it in jars.

Last edited:
I've paint I've re-tubed over ten years ago that are still as good as new. And paint I've personally made five or so years ago just the same. Some colours though last a year at most. Some pigments are very difficult to mull, Cobalt blue and Naples yellow are hard to get started. It seems you can't use a metal palette knife on them as these pigments abrade steel off and discolour the paint. Organic synthetic take far too long. So all these I now just buy the best pre-made paint on the market.
Lead white is very easy to make, as is Lead Tin yellow, but the lead tin only lasts a year or two in the tube before it starts to harden. Same with the cobalt blue for that matter.
Pre-mixing colours can sometimes yield unexpected results. I once used a Maimeri Naples Yellow Pink (that dried very very slowly) and mixed it with another colour to make a desired shade of grey. (The fake pink Naples wasn't getting used) The tube of paint dried hard as a rock within two weeks! Never had that with my own paints. Must have been a drier in one of the colours that just over reacted with the other.

If you're not intending to keep the paint for months/years on end, just sticking it in a jar might be fine.

I'm using plastic jars I bought at the dollar store (4jars for a dollar). They're about a 2" cube and make a Tupper-ware-like seal. I scrape paint left over from a painting session - put it in the jar then fill it up with water. As long as oil paint is covered with water it will never cure. I keep them un-refrigerated with the rest of my paints. When you want to use it, just dump the water.
20211214_114122_copy_756x756.jpg

I'm using the empty tubes to make smaller tubes from bigger tubes to use with Plein air.

Lazarus - thanks for the link - the syringe is a great idea - especially if you were making a lot of tubes. Enjoyed watching the artist too.

I'm using plastic jars I bought at the dollar store (4jars for a dollar). They're about a 2" cube and make a Tupper-ware-like seal. I scrape paint left over from a painting session - put it in the jar then fill it up with water. As long as oil paint is covered with water it will never cure. I keep them un-refrigerated with the rest of my paints. When you want to use it, just dump the water.
View attachment 15147

I'm using the empty tubes to make smaller tubes from bigger tubes to use with Plein air.
btw why not just grab from the jar the amount you need? anyway the water wont be in contact with the oil.

btw why not just grab from the jar the amount you need? anyway the water wont be in contact with the oil.
You could. Just that the jars are so small, I'm only dumping like a few tablespoons of water to keep from spilling. Then I would have to add back a little more water anyway since I removed paint. But you can scoop paint without emptying the water.

I thought you meant - why not use them for Plein Air - well --
You could. But several things. The paints in the jars are mixed yellows, mixed reds, mixed blues not pure tube color. With Plein air you want to carry as little baggage as possible and work as efficiently as possible. Jars take up a lot of room - messier than tubes.

But since I asked about "how to load tubes" I've moved on. The only tube color I now carry is T.white. I preload my palette with the minimum quantity of paint I think I might need. Then carry one of these to replenish paint as necessary.

7159VRVvrwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/24-Well-Airtight-Palette-Watercolors-Hethrone/dp/B08M3YYD1C

It's only 5.3 x 8.7 inches, and can carry 18ml of 24 colors each if need be.

Last edited:
You could. But several things. The paints in the jars are mixed yellows, mixed reds, mixed blues not pure tube color. With Plein air you want to carry as little baggage as possible and work as efficiently as possible. Jars take up a lot of room - messier than tubes.

But since I asked about "how to load tubes" I've moved on. The only tube color I now carry is T.white. I preload my palette with the minimum quantity of paint I think I might need. Then carry one of these to replenish paint as necessary.

View attachment 15167

https://www.amazon.com/24-Well-Airtight-Palette-Watercolors-Hethrone/dp/B08M3YYD1C

It's only 5.3 x 8.7 inches, and can carry 18ml of 24 colors each if need be.
This method is well known for plein air painters somehow they all preferd the regular shit dry paints palette full with garbage like in the next minute they all gonna sell painting in 50k$

And here are example.
Viktor yushkevic or something.
vy.jpg

against the garbage
vy2.jpg

Only I use a paper palette nothing to clean up and a fresh palette each time - no dried colors.

I like this idea of these jars Bongo, where I don't have to put them in the fridge. Are they plastic or glass?

He take that one (bottom image) for plein air.
I know, I've seen other Plein Air painters do that - let the paint dry up like that. I use a paper palette on top of my Plein Air palette - then just throw it away when done - so I never get paint caking up like that, or have to clean it.

To hold the paper palette in place on top of the Plein Air palette I've found all that is necessary is to run a thin layer of Dorland's wax (or some other brand) around the edge and place the paper palette on top of that and it sticks and won't budge until you peal it off.

I like this idea of these jars Bongo, where I don't have to put them in the fridge. Are they plastic or glass?
They're made out of a tupper-ware-type plastic - strong doesn't crack, makes an airtight seal. Four for a dollar!

Back