Winsor & Newton tubes are stupid

Marc

Here's a standard artist oil tube from Winsor & Newton at it's actual size.

W&N-tube-2.jpg

What's the colour of this tube? I almost need my rarely used reading glasses to see the colour name. Now fill a paint box with these things. smear a little paint on some of them, and of course roll up the tubes as you use them.
At the one third mark you lose the little colour marker. Roll them up to the half way point and you lose the pigment name as well. Then you just have "Winsor & Newton Artist's Oil Colour" in large to remind one to never, ever, buy this dam brand again!

As much as the poor function I think it the degree of systemic stupidity that bugs me. No one in the chain of design or okaying it had the intelligence, will or power to stop this reaching production. And every time I I look at these things, I can't stop thinking about it.

You could also record the color name in a notebook or make a swatch/name on a canvas pad. Then number it and put that number on the tube. To make it easier at replacement time.

Smear your color on the lion.
Yes this is what I've done before with another brand (though it was less required) and I'll probably do it with these latest bought on sale.
It just shouldn't need to be done. Part of my annoyance thinking of other users and not just myself.

You could also record the color name in a notebook or make a swatch/name on a canvas pad. Then number it and put that number on the tube. To make it easier at replacement time.
There is a very small pigment number on their backs at the cap end so all I need to do is remember what each number means.

I use that brand but never have that problem. That said, I only use 6 to 9 different colours.

Use a tube wringer and then, even though it will be corrugated, you can see the color.

I agree with your criticism of the Winsor and Newton tubes, although I like using their paints, especially the Griffin alkyds.

I agree with your criticism of the Winsor and Newton tubes, although I like using their paints, especially the Griffin alkyds.
Smear your color on the lion.
:D Don't insult the griffin by calling it a lion. Lions can't even fly.

With gouache or acrylics it would be much easier. With oils, I'm afraid it will take ages to be completely dry :rolleyes:
I'm not sure that gouache would stick to the latest W&N tubes as they now have various non-absorbent surfaces.

I always buy my replacements before I need them, so waiting a week or so for the paint to dry wouldn't be a problem. Also I could mix the colour with some liquin. It's not as if this medium being used for anything else by me.

Unrelated to tube design; unless they've caused sales to cease and the stocks been hanging cap side up for too long as a result. My new tube of W&N Raw Umber green shade has an awful lot of free oil coming out. About a tea spoon and a half so far, and only opened it to paint over the griffin near the cap. Never had this problem with this W&N colour before and this would be about my sixth or so tube of it.

The worst case of this I've had was a tube of W&N transparent white. It was about half free oil, half paint. The whole tube! Thinking about it now I should have taken it back to the shop. Not sure if they still make it......opening a separate page now to check.......nope it's discontinued.
Huh, W&N only make 5 whites now in their Artist's oils range. I guess once you take all the lead white versions out....

I have to agree with the original post: I have a box full of the W&N tubes and I always end up digging thru twenty or so to find the color I needed, while the Liquitex transparent tubes make it easy to find what I want. Guess which brand I usually buy now...

Totally agree, though every brand has its annoyances. Still looking for the perfect brand really. I mostly use Gamblin.

I agree, the writing is tiny! I've heard complaints about this before. I use their watercolours, and the tubes are even smaller, but I only work with a small selection so I suppose being able to read the tube isn't so critical.

Most brands have similar issues especially as they're rolled up. I keep most of my paints in an old 3 tray tackle box. I tend to know where most of the colors are at in it.

Back