Hillside Farm - Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
This was done as a challenge for another forum. This is a watercolor on W & N 140CP, 11 x 8. I have done very few landscapes, so I learned a bit from this about the trees, fencing, stone, etc.

4FW19749pg3.jpeg

This is lovely Joy. I really like the foliage in front of the building. 🙂

Then do more, Joy! It's lovely and very well done indeed. Your rock wall knocks me out, BTW.

Nice loose feel. One suggestion, the pine tree on the left is leaning. Even if the reference was this way its always better to make it straight.

You should do more landscapes, Joy! I love your spots of yellow and pink - wonderful. The slightly leaning tree on the left isn't bothering me a bit, since trees can lean like this in real life from constant wind.

I agree with Bart - that rock wall is a stunner! Great job. ❤️

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I didn't even notice the tree was leaning a wee bit, so thanks for pointing that out. Most likely when I scraped in the trunk my hand veered. The ref had the rock wall all across the bottom of the photo, "blocking" the main subject. Since I had never painted a rock wall before, I was going to leave it out, but decided to try it with a different orientation and cropped a bit.

Ayin, thank you! Amazingly that landscapes are most associated with traditional watercolor, but the subject I have done the least.

As you asked..your trees have no volume as the branches all go left or right. None go upward, downward, or forward. As well, they are all of the same variety in each of the trees. Much like a human skeleton would appear. Easy fix. Interesting as I noticed that in one of my pieces before I noticed it in this piece. The houses sit nice in the elements.

Wayne, thanks for the very helpful suggestion about the trees. I will strive for more variety in other landscapes.

Back