Help my ailing failing memory cells

Bartc

Yesterday I painted this small watercolor at Land's End in San Francisco. I was inspired by the lighting on the buildings and the lines of the scene, light and shadow of morning. When I first saw it and suggested this composition to my buddies, I was sure it reminded me of either a similar scene or the style Diebenkorn used in his earlier representational phase in San Francisco. But try as I might, Google Images does not bring up such a scene for that painter, although I can see influences.

Is my memory shot or Google Images lacking? Or am I really wrong and this is more Hopper or somebody else?

Tell me what you think (not your appreciation I'm looking for, but an art historical reference.) Because of the line and wash technique, it has more of a sense of detail, rather than the flat wash I would expect of the artists above, but don't let that distract you.
Lands End scenic watercolor January 2022.jpg

While I think this is a very nice scene and a wonderful painting, I cannot see a Diebenkorn resemblance here at all. This is just my personal opinion. One thing about him is that he made very straight lines in his compositions. And weirder yet, he did not use a ruler either. He possibly used tape, but either way, the pencil lines he used were all hand-drawn and very consistent. They were nearly like color blocking with washes within those areas. This is just my own observation from looking very closely at his work up close and personal at a few of his exhibitions and a full retrospective of his work that also included his sketchbooks and diaries and how he transitioned in his period between landscapes to abstracts. If there are even earlier works of his that look like this that I'm unaware of, maybe you can find them and post them because this doesn't look familiar to me from work that's he's known for, so maybe that's why Google doesn't come up with anything? That's a possibility.

I am not as familiar with Hopper, but I don't see that resemblance either. I can't put my finger on who exactly. Maybe you have your very own style! ;)

I don't see Diebenkorn either. Or Hopper. Nice painting but I don't see any special characteristic pointing toward some particular artist.

I agree with Artyczar and John. My untrained eye sees more of John Marin in that Painting.

Bartc, Nice line wash watercolor. I think alot of those references are oils
Yes, I wasn't comparing the medium. What struck my eye was the light and shadow on the buildings as more or less geometric structures and on the landscape. That's what I was relating to.

Who's painting is the second one you posted? I don't recognize that one as Diebenkorn. The first one, is a classic one though.

I don't see it, but that doesn't mean anything about what's in your mind about the light.

Who's painting is the second one you posted? I don't recognize that one as Diebenkorn. The first one, is a classic one though.

I don't see it, but that doesn't mean anything about what's in your mind about the light.
It's listed on the web as early Diebenkorn. Could as easily be Hopper or others, though. Can't always rely on Google.

Back