Habitations (SE Asia)

Iain

2 eyes.
At the time of taking this shot, a family of four lived here.

Bamboo Hse.jpg

Within a few metres, within eye view, a property built from imported Swiss timber.

IMG_0379.jpg

I once saw a man living in a "habitation" here in the Ozarks that was made from stacking up bales of hay and putting a piece of tin over the top. ☹️

Think this guy lived in his boat house on lake titicaca.
3.jpg

There are favelas overlooking the richest areas of Rio with views of the rich laying round the pool of the Cococabana Palace, an extremely luxurious hotel. C'est la vie!

These guys lived in the big hut at the back. Hope you don't mind me posting these Iain. They're not S E Asia.
am.JPG

Not at all! Glad you wanted to contribute those wonderfully intriguing images. Hmm.

Laos....where was your photo taken? Income inequality Is a global problem with inadequate housing a dramatic visible reminder. ☹️

Attachments

• 542C0437-6274-48AF-B026-7A3A5C7B2F21.jpeg
    542C0437-6274-48AF-B026-7A3A5C7B2F21.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 125
  • F637B2FF-DBA4-46A1-A754-9B4833B9E084.jpeg
    F637B2FF-DBA4-46A1-A754-9B4833B9E084.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 120
The Philippines, PSA. It is true. Even here. They bought votes by selling off the nation's housing stock on the cheap, etc., etc.
I once saw a man living in a "habitation" here in the Ozarks that was made from stacking up bales of hay and putting a piece of tin over the top. ☹️
Hay is a great insulator. Still. The three little piggies. I saw people sleeping in the fire exits of London's Savoy hotel. Another irony.
I must look up the Ozarks.

I couldn't escape the political, but I did post the images for their aesthetic interest.

Having spent much time with street children and adults in Brazil that have no home. I know that they are as happy with their lives and in most cases happier, than many that live in luxurious homes. I realise that may seem trite, but it's true, they have a freedom that most western types couldnt begin to imagine, it's how we're conditioned to think. We're robots, they're not.

There's a guy down the road here that has pitched a tent against a fence and some trees with a bunch of blankets. I kept thinking about him when it was snowing.

It is so sad when people and animals have to suffer in extreme weather, but many people right now are just one paycheck away from being homeless. 😢

I saw mothers with children living in cardboard boxes on the streets of Dhaka in Bangladesh.

I saw mothers with children living in cardboard boxes on the streets of Dhaka in Bangladesh.
I saw that in various places in Asia too.Actually I remember seeing a woman dying on a back street in Bangkok.The locals had covered her with a sarong and someone had put a cloth behind her head and then the sort of carried on with their day. I could see a few people keeping an eye on her but that was about it.

Last edited:
Yes, thought provoking. And very sad, you don't see many smiles in those photos. ☹️

I think her work is important because she shows most of us a side of life we rarely think about.She must be a very special person to have gained enough trust for people to allow her into their lives

Back