Great Sculptors Of the Past And Present.

I'm not sure if this would be of interest in this thread, but today I was talking to my new friend about their work who makes really cool vessels (I'll have to get some of their images later), but a similar artist came up by the name of Brittany Mojo. She is represented by the same gallery as me. Here are a few of her pieces:

Yankee-Chubby.gif

729fb93f9432226ac40e3af221c3de5d.jpg

016656232f55f41706a1bfd524ac3f2b.jpg

Eared-Yankee.gif

stlukesguild: Thank you for these wonderful pictures. I shall save them as reference photos—I find Egyptian sculptures so inspiring.

Last edited:
Arty, are these all ceramics? And why wouldn't they be of interest?

Are you aware of Ursula von Rydingsvard's wood sculpture?

d5e412343dbeae96b4bf1cbdaffa4f0f.jpg

2008bowlwithmantelweb1.jpg

e66b64414d248fc7f193400844c20954.jpg

ursula-pic4.jpg

2_2018_04_09_tt_400.jpg

:)

Thank you for showing Ursula von Rydingsvard's work; her work appeals to me greatly. I love learning about artists and composers who are new to me.

I forget where I first came across Ursula von Rydingsvard... but it was a good number of years ago. She reminds me a good deal of Magdalena Abakanowicz.

No, I did not know of Ursula von Rydingsvard! Wow!!! Thank you for the intro.

Yes, Mojo's work is ceramic. She works also in stoneware, porcelain, and various other media.

I wanted to show some of my new friend's work, but they do not have a website. They have only an IG page: Niki Ford: @nikifordnow I'm trying to get them to make a site of their clay work. I'm really liking their stuff.

nford.jpg

'The Art Critic' by Philippe Faraut

Art-Critic-desat_4712-sfw_600x.jpg

You can see more of Philippe Faraut's work here [at his website]
Cheers,
Patricia

Last edited:
' Fearless Girl' by Kristen Visbal

Fearless_Girl_sculpture_by_Kristen_Visbal.jpg

It was originally positioned temporarily in front of the Wall Street 'Bull'
but has since been re-located elsewhere following objections raised by the 'Bull'
sculptor.

Fearless_ Girl.jpg

Cheers,
Patricia

' Pair Of Dogs '

Roman marble sculpture from 1st or 2nd century AD.
It was found in 1774 at Monte Cagliono and is now in the British Museum.

Marble-statue-of-a-pair-of-dogs-British-Museum.jpg

Cheers,
Patricia

ANNA CHROMY 1940 - 2021
Painter and sculptor

'The Cloak Of Conscience'

Cloak_marble_front1.jpg

Sculpted from a 250 ton block of white Carrara marble [the largest single block ever carved]
After seeing her smaller version, The Abbot of the Holy Convent and Papal Basilica San Francesco in Assisi.
asked her if she could build a much larger version of the Cloak as a place of spirituality and meditation,
This version is just over 15 feet high and there is an entrance at the front to allow people to go inside

Chromy did many smaller versions in both bronze and marble which are displayed in many
countries around the world . This one is in Salzburg and is called the 'Pieta'

1280px-Salzburg_Anna_Chromy_Pietà.jpg

She did many other sculptures.

The 'Music Of The Rivers'
4 blindfolded sculptures of musicians each representing a different river
are arranged around a fountain in Prague.

a6b8fc624826545625ef5a7a8912622c.jpg

Close-up of the 'Violinist.
IMG_6588.jpg

Her website and legacy.

Last edited:
The Cloak of Conscience recalls Muriel Castanis' Corporate Goddesses atop San Francisco's 580 California building, designed by Phillip Johnson.

Corporate Goddesses 3.800.jpg

6513198074b5fb20d6d2f40.62284692.jpg

Castanis created another grouping of ghostly draped figures known as the "Flatbush Floogies" on the walls of the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn subway station in New York. These figures have been compared to the Grim Reaper and the Ringwraiths or Nazgul from The Lord of the Rings.

Flatbush Floozies.png

img_454.jpg

Marcelle Renee Lancelot-Croce Born 1854 [or 1863 ?] France
Sculptor - reliefs, medallions.

'The Work Of The Barbarians' 1916
Shows a mother holding her child beside a World War One battlefield grave.
There is the cap of a French soldier on the cross.

tn_TheWorkOfTheBarbarians'.jpg

close up detail
tn_detail.jpg

More information on Marcelle Renee Lancelot-Croce

Very fine relief.

I've always been partial to Louise Nevelson, Brancusi (of course), and Ernst Trova.

Veiled Christ by Sammartino
or Sanmartino), Giuseppe. - Sculptor (Naples 1720 - therein 1793). Active in Naples, he showed an accentuated realism: the Veiled Christ (1753, Sansevero chapel) is noteworthy. He made figures of saints and allegorical sculptures (1757, chapels of the Assumption and of S.)

Veiled Christ
1640467464656.png

"The Mystery Book Sculptor
An anonymous artist has been leaving delicate paper sculptures made from old books at locations in Edinburgh and around Scotland for more than three years.

The identity of the woman has remained secret despite the international attention that the book sculptures have received."
[quote BBC]

A note is always left with the sculpture. The sculptures have helped various institutions and charities.

"BBC Scotland's arts correspondent Pauline McLean conducted an interview with her - via email to maintain her anonymity."
[quote BBC]

_80086614_book_lanark2.jpg

_80155730_butterfliesgood.jpg

Andy Scott

Andy Scott's facebook page

'PHOENIX'
ThePhoenix.jpg

'THE KELPIES'

tn_TheKelpies.jpg

tn_Kelpieriggers.jpg

'ARRIA'
tn_Arria.jpg

'ARRIA'
tn_ArriaWIP.jpg

'POISED;
tn_Poised.jpg

'POISED'
tn_PoisedWIP.jpg

SCOTT AND HIS LOVELY DOG 'COBUS' WITH SCULPTURE 'LYNX'
tn_Lynx.ScottandCobus.jpg

COBUS
Cobus.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for showing Andy Scott's work. His technique has given me an idea that may solve a problem I've had with one of my projects of an abstract ballet dancer.

Back