Great Sculptors Of the Past And Present.

One of the finest art critics/art writers IMO was André Malraux who famously argued that "There are no Sumerian, Egyptian, or Medieval hacks, but (our time is overrun with them)." I can't say how often I find myself agreeing with him whenever I stumble upon some work of medieval art that for whatever reason never made it into the history books... but still is absolutely brilliant. Today I was sorting out the images in the medieval folder on my computer when I came upon the Brunswick Lion or the Braunschweiger Löwe... a medieval sculpture, created in bronze between 1164 and 1176.

demv175.jpg

Braunschweiger_Löwe,_original_in_the_Dankwarderode_Castle_-_Braunschweig,_Germany.900.jpg

Braunschweig_Brunswick_Loewe_mit_Dom_im_Hintergrund.900.jpg

JILL WATSON - Sculptor - Born 1957 Edinburgh

Jill Watson' website - http://www.jillwatsonstudio.co.uk/index.htm

'WIDOWS AND BAIRNS '

BBC QUOTE .."
A sculpture commemorating the families who were affected by Scotland's worst fishing disaster has been unveiled in Eyemouth.
A total of 189 men were killed in waters just outside the town's harbour when a severe storm struck in October 1881. All but 70 came from the town.
Many of them drowned within full view of their families on the shore.
The tragedy, which became known locally as Black Friday, left 78 widows and 182 fatherless children in the town.
A five-metre long bronze sculpture called Widows and Bairns has been unveiled.
It was created by sculptor Jill Watson, who was commissioned to design memorials representing the surviving widows and children from four of the communities affected by the disaster - Cove, St Abbs, Eyemouth and Burnmouth. .."

Quote from Jill Watson
"

"I have made a monument that commemorates the women and children left behind after the fishing disaster," she said.
"It is the exact number of women and children so the figures are small on a very tall, narrow harbour wall.
"It is all made in bronze. The wall is almost as important a part of the sculpture as the figures on top - it creates the space for them."
The design also aims to reflect the unfolding events of Black Friday.
"The sculpture is a timeline - it starts on Friday afternoon when the storm struck," said Ms Watson.
"You have the women from the Harmony and Radiant boats - those two boats were smashed up literally in front of everybody's eyes.

"They heard the men shouting and they could do nothing to help them because the sea was so rough."

tn__91932219_img_3428.jpg

tn__91933159_img_3435.jpg

tn_TD14_AM_S004-008.jpg

OTHER WORK

MONUMENT TO SCOTTISH MERCHANT NAVY

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/87515

tn_blackberry189c.jpg

tn_blackberry180.jpg

' INSCRIBED LANDSCAPE '
'http://www.jillwatsonstudio.co.uk/Landscapes.html

tn_jw1small0_2.jpg

'GILDED PEAR ENTRANCE'

peartreeentrancereduced0_2.jpg

I came upon the history of Eyemouth's "Black Friday" in reading of the art of John Bellany. Bellany was born in Port Seton and had grandfathers who were fishermen in both Port Seton and Eyemouth. He studied at both Edinburgh and later the Royal College of Art in the early 1960s. At this time Abstract Expressionism, Color Field Painting, and Pop Art reigned supreme on the international art scene. After a tour of Europe including East Germany during which he came upon paintings by the German Expressionists and Francis Bacon, Bellany sought to develop an expressionist approach to art that dealt with the realities of Scottland... including the fishing communities that he grew up in. Many of his paintings allude to the sea and the fishermen as well as to the impact (good and bad) of Calvinism in Scotland.

Bellany-Allegory.700.jpg

Star.850.jpg

GLA.700.jpg

I don't recall if any of Bellany's paintings directly referenced the events of "Black Friday", but I recall him speaking in some detail of the event and how profoundly it impacted the fishing communities of Port Seton and Eyemouth... and ultimately, his own art.

Rembrandt Bugatti's animal sculptures .
his ELEPHANTS are a personal fave 🐘

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favourite of Rembrandt Bugatti's sculptures.

'DANCING ELEPHANT'
His elder brother was Ettore Bugatti , the car designer. He used the dancing elephant
as a rad cap or hood ornament for his 'Bugatti Royale'
The elephant has been reproduced many times since.

tn_Rembrandt-Bugatti-elefante-2-743x1024.jpg

Here's another one that I like.

"Deux antilopes goudou ou deux amis", 1911-1912

tn_PETITES-ANTILOPES-GOUDOU-OR-DEUX-AMIS-1911-1912.jpg

Rembrandt Bugatti at the Antwerp Zoo, working with a friend, 1910

tn_Rembrandt-Bugatti-at-Antwerp-Zoo-working-with-a-friend-1910.jpg

See more here:

Cheers,
Patricia

This is my favourite of Rembrandt Bugatti's sculptures.

'DANCING ELEPHANT'
His elder brother was Ettore Bugatti , the car designer. He used the dancing elephant
as a rad cap or hood ornament for his 'Bugatti Royale'
The elephant has been reproduced many times since.

View attachment 18808

Here's another one that I like.

"Deux antilopes goudou ou deux amis", 1911-1912

View attachment 18809

Rembrandt Bugatti at the Antwerp Zoo, working with a friend, 1910

View attachment 18810

See more here:

Cheers,
Patricia
Yeah , I love Bugatti's Elephant sculptures 🐘
I just generally love his work 👍 his Monkees/Apes are cool

THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THIS ANYMORE !
[and they didn't make them like this before this one was built either ! ]

Look at this beautiful sculpted architecture !

Can you can guess what it is and where it is !

Cheers,
Patricia
cps.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. Try again :)
Cheers,
Patricia

Artyczar - Yes ! It's in England - but where in England ?

Hermes - Here's a clearer photo of the emblem

img_4947.jpg

Here's another clue.
Any more guesses ?
It has earned a few nicknames over the years.

tn.jpg

tn_373F51FD00000578-3742144-image-a-49_1471292923306.jpg

OK, another guess. When I first saw those tanks I thought it was a brewery. Looking at the tanks again, I now think they may be part of a water purification system. It looks Victorian, so my guess is somewhere in the UK.

OK, another guess. When I first saw those tanks I thought it was a brewery. Looking at the tanks again, I now think they may be part of a water purification system. It looks Victorian, so my guess is somewhere in the UK.

You've almost got it !!😀

Last clues before the answer is revealed tonight !!

[1] It is located in the eastern outskirts of London, England.

[2] Beam engine

Cheers,
Patricia

Back