Grand Island Lighthouse

Balaji

This pen & Ink drawing is based on Harry Seiler's very nice photograph of the Grand Island Lighthouse (also known as the Grand Island East Channel Light) in Michigan, USA. I did two different versions of it. My first one was a 10 minute ball point pen thumbnail, while the one that I have posted here took me around two and a half hours.

In the thumbnail I had concentrated only on the massing of the lighthouse but in this one I focused on the lighthouse and tried to get a slightly out of focus effect for both the background and the foreground. After I had completed it I felt that I should have used thinner lines for the background but by then I was stuck with the result of my heavy handed approach. That unfortunately is the way it is with pen & ink.

Grand Island Lighthouse - pen & ink.jpg

This is amazing. The thumbnail is so good, too. I am surprised. I have a photo of this from a few years ago we were on some sort of a sight seeing cruise. I thought it was a church! Thanks for setting me straight.

Wow! I can't find any flaws here - looks very photographic to me. Beautiful work, Balaji!

I think it's beautiful. I just love all that foliage. Doesn't look heavy handed at all!

Thank you Sanlynn. This is one of my ink drawings on which I have spent the most time...around 150 minutes.

Back