Good public domain images sources

ErikRak

I have read in a sub forum here a post about ref images sources (like Pixabay, Unsplash, etc.). I can't find the thread back, sorry.
Just want to share with you a good list of public domain images sources not only for reference but also as a good source of inspiration and creativity. Here's the link :
Moma UK

Enjoy 🙃

That's really useful, thank you for sharing. I'll definitely be looking through this in detail later! 🙂

I don't get to travel much, so I'm heavily dependent on whatever I can find online, at least as far as painting landscapes is concerned. I used to make some use of stock photos - the free versions have watermarks on them, but of course, one need not paint the watermarks! :)

I suppose it might still cause copyright trouble though, if you used the photo without paying. Mind you, I very seldom work very directly from a photo. In all probability, the photographer himself will not recognize his own photo in my work. A naughty trick: make a mirror image of the photo - it makes it less recognizable.

Anyway, nowadays I seldom do it this way, because I find most stock photos are not really suitable for my purposes. Some time ago I saw a YouTube video in which an artist kind of neatly encapsulated my own problem with stock photos: they're too pretty! He was explaining how he uses his own holiday photos as reference, and went through a whole bunch of them, explaining his way of work. He took some beautiful ones, and rejected one after the other as suitable reference: too much detail, or simply too pretty. As artist, he said, he's interested in shapes more than subject matter, and lots of spectacular landscape photos, beautiful as they are, lack the right kind of shapes.

I am of that same school of thought. Another YouTuber to follow is Ian Roberts, who has a whole channel dedicated to composition; he wrote a pretty good book on the subject too. It's all about shapes, and stock photos, as beautiful as they often are, frequently fail this test. I sometimes find something to paint in them by zooming in on some detail.

This of course means there isn't much too see, because when you enlarge a detail it gets fuzzy, but this is an advantage! I have noticed that almost like clockwork, my best paintings are done from bad, bad photos (at least as far as photography criteria are concerned). And this happens precisely because a "bad" photo allows me to see shapes first, and not get distracted by detail.

Nowadays I make quite a bit of use of Google Earth street view, an unlimited source of bad photos. It's not without its own problems: the camera is too high, so you look down onto the scene. One often needs to correct for this. Also, the lighting is sometimes bad when the photo happens to have been taken in the middle of the day. But one can use street view images without worrying about copyright.

For the rest, I sometimes get something done using almost random snapshots of whatever drew my attention (and once again, the bad photos often make for better reference!). An artist who greatly influenced my own art journey was a somewhat obscure blogger named Jeff Mahorney, who documented his entire learning-to-paint journey in a blog. He initially mostly did still life paintings form life, but eventually started using his own photos - and time and again, random snapshots of street scenes or people, which he turned into ever better and better paintings. Alas, he eventually quit painting and moved on to other things.

Anyway, I'm rambling, as usual. I'll stop now. :)

You're not rambling Brain. I use some of your same methods at times. I use many different things depending on the painting, but I also use Google street view as well, and random images from the web that I change up so much that they become unrecognizable in that I am using them as references. I also use a lot of my own snapshots, and then I combine much of this stuff into one piece. I mostly do that in Photoshop and will Frankenstein stuff together, printing out a crappy, fuzzy image as the reference and then paint from that. I do most of my "rendering" (if you can call it that) as I go along in the work itself. If anyone saw my original references, and compared them to my paintings, they wouldn't be able to sue me for copyright infringement. :ROFLMAO:

Hehe, something right on topic, and pretty bizarre, just happened to me. I painted this whimsical surreal picture a few weeks ago (I think I might have posted it somewhere here):

22-48 Via Roma Acrylics on Masonite, 20 x 15 cm.jpg

On a whim, I put it up on Redbubble as well. Who knows, maybe someone will want it printed on a coffee mug or something.

This morning I got an e-mail from Redbubble: my image has been removed for copyright infringement. My reaction: !!???!??!!?
Copyright victim: A company called Piaggio. Piaggio who? What on earth are they talking about? I Googled the company: it's a manufacturer of scooters. Apparently I cannot use an image of a scooter that resembles one of theirs even in the slightest way.

I suspect of course that the complaint did not come from the company. When you upload something to Redbubble you have to include key words, and I likely included the word "scooter," or perhaps "Vespa", which may have been enough for their artificial "intelligence" to come down on me. If the complaint did originate with the company, it's blatant nonsense - I used all manner of reference pictures of various makes of scooter to invent a more or less generic one. Even if it looked exactly like one of theirs, they probably still did not have a copyright case - might as well argue artists are not allowed to paint a street scene with recognizable makes of vehicles in it.

Anyway, they have an appeal mechanism: you fill in an online form (which includes you agreeing that the company involved has the right to sue you) and click "send", and then they'll look it over. Except the software malfunctions and I simply get an error message, so there is no way to appeal their decision.

And thus, I am considering just deleting my entire Redbubble shop; they have been a waste of my time anyway (and bombard me with spam messages, every single day).

More to the topic: it confirms my view that copyright law as it is currently practiced is dangerous nonsense that is ever increasingly holding back human creativity instead of encouraging it (which is supposedly the point of the law, though of course, we all know it isn't really).

Hehe, something right on topic, and pretty bizarre, just happened to me. I painted this whimsical surreal picture a few weeks ago (I think I might have posted it somewhere here):

View attachment 26522

On a whim, I put it up on Redbubble as well. Who knows, maybe someone will want it printed on a coffee mug or something.

This morning I got an e-mail from Redbubble: my image has been removed for copyright infringement. My reaction: !!???!??!!?
Copyright victim: A company called Piaggio. Piaggio who? What on earth are they talking about? I Googled the company: it's a manufacturer of scooters. Apparently I cannot use an image of a scooter that resembles one of theirs even in the slightest way.

I suspect of course that the complaint did not come from the company. When you upload something to Redbubble you have to include key words, and I likely included the word "scooter," or perhaps "Vespa", which may have been enough for their artificial "intelligence" to come down on me. If the complaint did originate with the company, it's blatant nonsense - I used all manner of reference pictures of various makes of scooter to invent a more or less generic one. Even if it looked exactly like one of theirs, they probably still did not have a copyright case - might as well argue artists are not allowed to paint a street scene with recognizable makes of vehicles in it.

Anyway, they have an appeal mechanism: you fill in an online form (which includes you agreeing that the company involved has the right to sue you) and click "send", and then they'll look it over. Except the software malfunctions and I simply get an error message, so there is no way to appeal their decision.

And thus, I am considering just deleting my entire Redbubble shop; they have been a waste of my time anyway (and bombard me with spam messages, every single day).

More to the topic: it confirms my view that copyright law as it is currently practiced is dangerous nonsense that is ever increasingly holding back human creativity instead of encouraging it (which is supposedly the point of the law, though of course, we all know it isn't really).
I like the painting very much !
Yeah, artificial idiocy is everywhere nowadays ... ;)

Brian that is blatant bullshit. I know you probably don't feel like fighting it, but I would contact their tech support and tell them about their appeal section being broken.

I used to paint quite a bit from supposedly public domain images on Pixabay and would also ask working photographers if I could use a specific image of theirs to paint from, offering them a commission if it sold. I was never turned down by any photographers. One of them who is reasonably famous said I could use it for free and thanked me for asking. He said that nobody ever asked him before out of a huge number of artists who blatantly painted exact copies of his photos without his OK.

As for Pixabay, I initially thought that everything people posted there was to their best knowledge public domain. I found out that with several members there, that was not true. Before I painted anything I would always contact the person offering the image to make sure that either they owned the copyright or that it was indeed legitimately offered to the public domain. More than one who was posting images they did not own, when questioned stated that they had no idea whether it was actually public domain or not! One essentially said said "I don't know - I just found it on the internet".

Now for the "I used to..." - Once I started entering well respected national shows I realized that some of my best paintings were not eligible to be entered because the photograph I worked from was not my own. Even if I had written permission from the photographer, a painting derived from it is not allowed in some venues. So I significantly reduced my use of public domain images and photos by others who gave me permission to paint from them. I also like the idea that the entire painting process, from choosing the scene to composing the photograph and moving through to a finished painting is 100% my own creation.

I still paint some smaller images for sale in a local gallery using legally acquired photos done by others, but I always give them credit and I don't spend more than a couple of days on the painting. Any large or complex piece that takes me many hours to complete is going to be all mine.

Back