Favorite Art for the Holiday Season

Any idea whos that?
par.jpg

Maybe for the second. I can't tell if the one in first painting is supposed to have horns or not? it looks female to me.

A few more Christmas-themed paintings:

AdorationoftheShepherds.750.jpg

-Guido Reni- Adoration of the Shepherds

Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze.900.jpg

-Emanuel Leutze- Washington Crossing the Delaware

The paintings commemorate General George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River with the Continental Army on the night of December 25–26, 1776, during the American Revolutionary War. That action was the first move in a surprise attack and victory against Hessian forces at the Battle of Trenton in New Jersey on the morning of December 26.

800px-Viggo_Johansen_A_Christmas_Story.jpg

-Viggo Johansen- A Christmas Story

Johansen was a Danish painter who lived from 1851-1935. He painted several Christmas-themed paintings.

NRTiredSalesClerk.jpg

-Norman Rockwell-The Exhausted Sales Clerk

tumblr_inline_ohxmq61pHC1sthg2o_540.png

This probably belongs in the Art and Humor thread... but I couldn't help placing it here. The Assistant Principal at my school wears a different Christmas/Winter sweater each day for the whole of the month of December. I always have my younger kids make their own drawings of a Polar Bear or Reindeer (or some such thing) wearing an "ugly Christmas sweater".

Doesnt matter. ALL religious are based on the Zoodiac.
I don't doubt it, but I don't know if the painters knew this when they painted them. The symbols might go back further than that even. Meaning, the Zodiac had different meanings before the meanings we give them today. But you probably know more about that than I do.

I don't doubt it, but I don't know if the painters knew this when they painted them. The symbols might go back further than that even. Meaning, the Zodiac had different meanings before the meanings we give them today. But you probably know more about that than I do.
Skys telling the glory of this unknown.
This is the only way we can prove something powerfull sacred wisdom made all this.
Without those massenges or angels or whatever they have been verbal descripted along the dates, nothing could exist or develope.
This is the sky clock which copied almost accuratly to earth clock. As above so below.
Then, this "religious" thing had big impact along the past and most of subjected thing were and still to these days are stick to this.
Until some decided to hide it from the masses some 300 years ago and left humanity without this true beauty knowladge.
but I don't know if the painters knew this when they painted them
He knew exactly. they all knew.
People today cant accept that bcz they brainwashed hard into matterial tempting reality, so they prefer to live on earth and leave earth without knowing what are they.

The Zodiac/Astrology plays a role in art history.

461px-Les_Très_Riches_Heures_du_duc_de_Berry_février.jpg

The Limbourg Brothers- February from Les Très Riches Heures du duc de Berry

750.jpg

Albrecht Dürer- Celestial Globe

But astrology is just one part of the mythology that informed the iconography of the old masters. The majority of this came from the Hebrew-Christian Bible and other religious texts as well as Greco-Roman mythology and literature. Some of the Renaissance artists, such as Dürer, were quite educated in such iconography. Dürer was close with a number of highly educated intellectuals of the time including Philip Melanchthon (theologian, religious reformer, education designer)...

256587-1330623103.jpg

... and Willibald Pirckheimer (counselor, lawyer, author, Humanist philosopher). Many artists from the Middle Ages through the Baroque worked with intellectuals who advised them on the use of iconography. Only a few, such as Michelangelo, Leonardo, Dürer, and later, Peter Paul Rubens and William Blake were well versed in literature and mythology enough to fuel their own iconography.

There certainly is a great deal of symbolism employed in many religious paintings. Joseph is commonly portrayed as quite elderly in contrast to the youthful Mary in order to reinforce the notion of her virginity... as he was too old to get it up. Mary is commonly robed in blue symbolizing royalty and the skies or heaven. She is almost never seen in red, which suggests sexuality (the scarlet woman) and is instead commonly used in portraying Mary Magdalene. Scenes of the Nativity or Adoration of the Shepherd/Magi commonly are set in ruins meant to convey that the birth of Christ represented a collapse and end of the old Greco-Roman world.

DurerMagi.800.jpg

Albrecht Dürer-Adoration of the Magi

But not every image should be imagined as being symbolic. The cow as Taurus? Perhaps in some instances. But it is far more often likely to be just suggestive of the birth of Jesus taking place in a cattle barn surrounded by donkeys and sheep as often as cows.

Botticelli_Sandro_Mystic_nativity.700.jpg

Botticelli-Mystic Nativity

I may be wrong but I thought using blue for both Mary and rulers was because it was an expensive color at the time so it showed off their importance?

As for the zodiac elements. I don't know enough to speculate what the artist may have thought or believed.

are set in ruins meant to convey that the birth of Christ represented a collapse and end of the old Greco-Roman world
Represent the death and reborn of the sun. actually we at this point right now untill tommorow at 17:58 middle east zone. when the sun start to move back to the north. 1 degree each day. 360 degree represent the circle of the sun, the cross represnt the 4 direction of the sun which is east, west, north, south. every 30 degree the sun rise and set at two different constelations 30 * 12 zoodiac = 360.

But not every image should be imagined as being symbolic. The cow as Taurus? Perhaps in some instances. But it is far more often likely to be just suggestive of the birth of Jesus taking place in a cattle barn surrounded by donkeys and sheep as often as cows.
Start to read astro-theology. after that you will never be the same again.

In Botticeli painting you can easy find the circle of twelve angels as interpretation for the twelve constellation. andnot coincidantly the circle is represent the sun.

Yep. Blue was quite expensive. Even the Vatican couldn't spring for the good stuff for Michelangelo's ceiling frescoes. His blue is far more gray than Giotto's frescoes, for example. Just as with gold, the coat/scarcity is likely the reason that a given color/pigment was chosen to represent royalty.

Creation of Adam.700.jpg

giotto03.jpg

Last edited:
Back